Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Faulty Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

I have been having trouble with my gen 2 modem for over a month and have been in constant contact with you about it. I have been on the phone to tech support for close to 20 hours in total, hours more on online chat.

I have so far received 2 smartmodems that both set up correctly but refuse to work. They kick off any devices that were actually able to connect (many don’t even connect), it needs to be reset every 1-4 hours. I can clearly see no problems with the cable internet connection as when connected directly via cable adapter (either with computer or a different router) it works perfectly (this however does not work if the lan cable is running directly from the smartmodem). Also the smartmodem seems to work ok when running on 4g backup but I am threatened with an sms restricting service if connected for extended periods.

I was told by a Telstra phone support technician that Telstra was aware of the problem with the new modems and is currently investigating it. This is fair enough and good practice but when the current philosophy is just send out a new modem until they get one that works is flawed and frustrating.

It’s been over a month of intermittent internet at home which I’m sure you’re aware is now a basic utility service and not a luxury to the majority.

I know I’m not alone in this as not only was it confirmed by one of your own technicians but I have read the CrowdSupport articles extensively and can see that many many people are describing the same issue with the same proposed solutions (even two neighbours).

What is Telstra wanting everyone to do in the meantime? I’ve had this issue for over a month and am finally in the queue to hear from the office of the ceo however there doesn’t seem to be any temporary solution other than use your own modem or keep getting replacements that don’t work. There’s also nothing official from Telstra accepting there actually is an issue (which is obvious) and tech support just go through the same steps over and over with every replacement modem. There are rumours about firmware updates in the works but no one knows when or if this will work. Something needs to be done!
There is a massive ad campaign around these modems and it’s obvious they don’t work. Under the Australian Consumer Law, when you buy products and services they come with automatic guarantees that they will work and do what you asked for. If you buy something that isn't right, you have consumer rights.
Please escalate this. I’m sure you and your colleagues want to stop offering solutions you know most likely won’t work.
Scozwozzle

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Faulty Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hey there, I too am experiencing the exact same issue, except I have received 3 of these modems so far and none work, I am forced to use a Belong modem connected to my cable adapter to get an internet connection, being this modem is several years old now, it’s not as fast as my connection is supposed to be.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Faulty Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hey like I said apparently there is an update coming but no official word from Telstra. Tech support can’t help us, all I can suggest is raise a complaint as I and many others have and hopefully as a group we can get some action. I have noticed this seems to be affecting cable customers and as cable is not a large portion of broadband subscribers I’d say the priority is lower than if it was affecting everyone
Scozwozzle

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more