AdamR82
Level 2: Rookie

Free-to-Air TV reception stopped working - Telstra Velocity

Last night my Free-to-Air TV reception just cut out which has been working through my FTTP for years. My internet is still working fine. I checked another TV in my house which was the same and has no reception.

I checked my NTD box and all the correct lights are green except for the Video light which is red, so I am assuming it is an issue from Telstra or the NTD.

It is still is not working 20 hours later, so I called the the Telstra Velocity support line and after being on hold for over 30 min, I checked online which advised it is only open M-F 8am-8pm. Why would I go on hold with no warning that they are closed. Great Service Telstra!

I can't find any instances of anybody else with issues and to make things worst, the AFL is finally returned and I can't watch it!

Is anybody else having issue with there Free-to-Air TV through there NTD box?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
ecallega

Re: Free-to-Air TV reception stopped working - Telstra Velocity

Hi, I am in Kingston Estate Point Cook, vic. Same exact issue!! Can’t believe they haven’t just turned it into NBN and gotten rid of Velocity seeing as it is faster and has support. Every time something goes wrong you get to deal with a team outside of the normal operations of Telstra who seem overwhelmed, under supported and can’t use the resources available to the rest of the company. Just call the whole project for the outdated disaster it is and migrate it with the newer systems!

LibbyPaul45
Level 1: Cadet

We’re in Kingsford Estate Point Cook too... what a joke! Finding ANY help or information is near impossible as well! Any updates, anyone???

AdamR82

Thanks for the response, at least I know it's not just me now. Hopefully they can fix it soon and they haven't turned it off for good.

I just signed up for a free month of Kayo, so at least I can watch the AFL now.

JaneBunn

Same issue here with Telstra velocity in Point Cook. Still not working, currently using the free-to-air app to watch TV.

brenty

No Free-to-Air in Point Cook either.  Spent 90 minutes on phone with Telstra support and no resolution.  Apparently this is not an official outage, it's an unofficial outage.

An official outage would be listed on the 'Telstra Outages' website and you wouldn't have to phone.  Whereas an unofficial outage is a known outage but no-one cares.  I'm feeling so much better now.  🙂

ecallega

Yeah. Never call. Their chat portal is far better and it works through a messaging service now so that u don’t have to sit and wait for a response. Still, this velocity thing is rubbish. We pay more than anyone else and the team is only available 9-5 Monday to Friday. 2010 tech with 1990 service!

Kit_

Saltwater coast here, same problem started overnight.

Notafanoftlstra

Sooo apparently it’s an outage till 19th June! When I questioned what compensation we would receive, I had a reply of “madam, there’s no compensation, it’s free to air tv, you don’t pay anything, and you have internet and a home phone”, my response was if Velocity (which I DO pay for) was working, I would be able to watch my free to air tv, and you can keep your home phone, I don’t even have one plugged in! 🙄

Kit_

Received a response via the My Telstra app.

"I checked our database and confirmed that there's an ongoing outage in your location that affects your TV service. This is expected to be restored on the 15th. You don't have to call or chat us back, all you need to do is restart your service to use again your TV. In the event that the service is not working, please give us a chat."

quink1
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@ecallega wrote:

Can’t believe they haven’t just turned it into NBN and gotten rid of Velocity seeing as it is faster and has support.

I opened a complaint about the abysmal upload speeds on Velocity. The person who took the complaint told me very clearly that it's called "NBN Velocity" at least five times on the call even after I insisted that they're two different things. And kept trying to pass me off to the Velocity team who, even when they're available, are not going to be able to do a thing about Velocity being a terrible abomination.

So either you don't know what you're on about in insisting that NBN and Velocity are two different things or even at the complaints department over at Telstra they're run by a bunch of people who when confronted with information about Telstra products in a way fundamental to what they're working on literally lack the memory capacity to retain even the simplest of information communicated to them right then and there.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more