Haderak
Level 1: Cadet

FTP fails when Arcadyan LH1000 switches to mobile mode

Answered

Our home FTTN service has been failing to provide us with a DSL connection for some time, but our Arcadyn LH1000 modem from Telstra has dutifully switched from green-light to blue-light mode. It's slower, but it's functional. Mostly.

Slower I can handle, but unfortunately I can no longer use FTP, which is critical for my work.

I've tested with multiple FTP clients and had similar results. Some info from GoodSync:

092750 FTP: Server rejected UTF-8 that it promised us: Unknown command
092750 FTP: MLSD is broken, so turn it off: PASV says: 229: Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||33253|)
092750 listing folder with LIST: PASV says: 229: Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||31040|)
092750 Cannot upload log file: PASV says: 229: Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||33346|)

...and from CuteFTP:

COMMANDSmiley Embarassed PASV
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||31163|)
ERRORSmiley Embarassed Failed to establish data socket.

There have been no hardware or configuration changes in the timeframe.

I've also had a work colleague assist me with testing this. He's also a Telstra customer with the same modem at his home office and running Goodsync with the same settings as I am (i.e. to the same server, for the same purpose.)

His FTP connection works fine when the modem is in green-light FTTN DSL mode, and fails in the same way as mine does when it fails-over into blue-light mobile connection mode.

I'd like to be able to report that Telstra is going to shortly repair the issue that is requiring me to be in fail-over mode, and thus make the whole problem moot... but it's been weeks now, and navigating Telstra tech support has thus far not resulted in any tangible progress. 

In the meantime - anyone got a workaround? We can't be the only people having this issue, right? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: FTP fails when Arcadyan LH1000 switches to mobile mode

In backup mode the modem only has an IPv6 address on the WAN. This could be causing the problem. To make the modrm request both an IPv4 and IPv6 address from server the PDP type in the modrm's 4G settings can be changed from to IPv6 to IPv4v6.  (Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE.

To log into modem open a Web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1  password is Telstra.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter

That might fix the issue.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4
Accepted Solution

In backup mode the modem only has an IPv6 address on the WAN. This could be causing the problem. To make the modrm request both an IPv4 and IPv6 address from server the PDP type in the modrm's 4G settings can be changed from to IPv6 to IPv4v6.  (Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE.

To log into modem open a Web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1  password is Telstra.

View solution in original post

Haderak
Level 1: Cadet

An immediate, simple, total success. Do you know how utterly astonishing that is? Thanks!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more