KewKewKew
Level 2: Rookie

FXO port on Business Smart Modem setup video - why is it needed?

Answered
At 1:50 into this Telstra setup video, it shows plugging black end cable into FXO port on the modem:

Why is this needed when the NBN doesn't carry any analog service?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: FXO port on Business Smart Modem setup video - why is it needed?

It sometimes takes a longer for the phone service to be transferred to NBN than the internet service. The connection to the FXO port via the splitter ensures that the phone continues to work. The phone can work over the same cable pair as the NBN because it uses a lower frequency, The splitter filter separates the higher frequency NBN signal and sends it to the modem's DSL, the lower frequency phone signal is sent to modem's FXO port. Once the phone service has also been cut over to the NBN the cable going back to exchange is disconnected in the main pillar and the phone will no longer work via the FXO port.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
KewKewKew

Just finished the cutover to FTTB from ADSL. Our landline wouldn't work on the FXS port unless we used this splitter. Very strange. Someone with tech knowledge maybe able to explain.

cf4
Accepted Solution

It sometimes takes a longer for the phone service to be transferred to NBN than the internet service. The connection to the FXO port via the splitter ensures that the phone continues to work. The phone can work over the same cable pair as the NBN because it uses a lower frequency, The splitter filter separates the higher frequency NBN signal and sends it to the modem's DSL, the lower frequency phone signal is sent to modem's FXO port. Once the phone service has also been cut over to the NBN the cable going back to exchange is disconnected in the main pillar and the phone will no longer work via the FXO port.

View solution in original post

KewKewKew

Thanks @cf4 - appreciate the tech answer.

What is still confusing is I watched the NBN tech jumper the NBN wires on the MDF. The cable to the Telstra side was cut and then the NBN cable was patched in to our port. He also patched the Telstra cable directly over to the NBN frame which I guess is where the Telstra analog line is turning up on the FXO port via the splitter.

Does that mean that our voice line will eventually transition to VoIP and then the FXO port and splitter becomes redundant? And the Telstra modem will automatically switch over to VoIP for the voice line?

cf4

I can't really answer that question. If you were not a business customer that is what would happen. The consumer modems automatically get configured with settings required for the VOIP. I am not sure but from what I have seen of business modem the VOIP settings have to be entered manually. 

KewKewKew

I know - that's why it's really weird.

From public posts it seems the V7610 modem does "Auto Provision Voice Service"

I'll wait a few days and see what happens if I pull the FXO port cable!

But it explains why I need to use the FXO port at the moment as the analog Telstra service is being delivered via the NBN cables as you explained above.

KewKewKew

For consumer modems that don't have FXO port, does that mean that the "landline" is not available immediately on cutover?

cf4

The consumer modems do have a FXO port but it has a different name. Its called a PSTN port.

In most consumer connections the phone service gets transferred to the NBN at the same time as the internet. It is only on rare occasions that a mistake is made in the configuration that the phone service doesn't get transfered when the internet service is transferred to NBN. In some cases the transfere has not been set up correctly and outgoing calls on the NBN but incoming calls are still routed to the exchange and to the Telephone sockets.

KewKewKew

But voice services for consumer and business are moved to VoIP eventually right? 24-72 hours, which then makes the PSTN & FXO ports redundant.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more