BuGz1
Level 1: Cadet

GEN 2 Dead LAN Ports

I recently received from Telstra the Gen 2 Modem Technicolor DJA0231

18.1.c.0585-MR7.1-RA.
All LAN ports were working as of 12-05-2021, however, only 2 LAN ports function, ports 1 and 4 do not work.
I have a software reset modem, no effect.
Performed hardware reset, no effect.
Inspected LAN port externally. Clear.
The modem does connect to ISP and 4G fall-back if needed and has no issues with the internet.
Has anyone else experienced this or similar?.
Cheers in advance. 🙂

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: GEN 2 Dead LAN Ports

Don’t take offence, but how did you determine that those ports are not working?. - the LAN port lights or non-functionality of the connected devices.

Have you tried swapping the device cables around to see if the apparent LAN port fault is consistent?.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

I have seen other posts were some or all of the LAN ports have been faulty. I suugest you contacted Telstra support and lodged a fault.

BuGz1

I have tested all LAN ports on the modem with new cables and no connectivity on the two ports 1 & 4. The other devices will connect if I only use ports 2 & 3. LAN ports 1 & 4 do not work. So the answer to your reply is yes I have tried everything bar a LAN Port Tester I no longer have.

BuGz1

I have contacted Telstra and reported my findings, however, I was told that this fault is not causing line dropouts, and this does not qualify me to receive a replacement. 😞

cf4

That is not a Satisfactory response. If the modem is under 2 years old and was provided by Telstra Telstra is responsible for ensuring that modem is not faulty. If two LAN ports are not working modem is faulty and should be replaced free of charge by Telstra.

Suggest you lodge a complaint with Telstra. There is information below on how to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

There have been other posts here stating that the Telstra muppets consider a partially working modem (i.e. 2 out of 4 ports, or 5Ghz Wi-Fi working but 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi not working) to not be sufficient grounds to justify a replacement..  that is NOT correct, so lodge a complaint as suggested by @cf4 . 

Imagine if those people worked in a car service deartment???

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Kunal1
Support Team
Support Team

Hey BuGz1. that does sound inconvenient. Have you had a chat with the NBN faults team so they can have this looked at?

- Kunal

SteveW_52

@Kunal1   I know you are trying to help, but how can NBN assist with a Telstra Smart Modem 2 with faulty LAN ports???

The main issue here is that the Telstra Support area seems to think that 2 non-working LAN ports is insufficient grounds for a modem to be replaced. This sort of response to a reported fault, where part of the modem functionality is lost but is no considered to be grounds for replacement, is incorrect under Australian consumer law. 

Stevo 52
Kunal1
Support Team
Support Team

The NBN faults team can check if the modem has faulty ports and even send out a new modem if the need be. So I'd recommend having a chat with them. Send me PM so I can connect you through to them.

- Kunal

SteveW_52

@Kunal1  The original poster, with the problem is actually @BuGz1, who you should have directed your response to.  

Both @cf4  and I offered suggestions to the original poster, but we don't actually have the problem??

Can you please explain how the 'NBN faults team' can remotely identify faulty LAN ports?

If the OP needed more assistance then the Telstra Customer Support personnel should have already done what you suggest - but their response was that with only 50% of LAN ports failed, it didn't warrant a replacement - that is WRONG on every level and indicates a poor level of training, customer service skills and technical knowledge.

Stevo 52
cf4

@Kunal1 

@BuGz1  has already contacted support and been told that because the faulty LAN ports are  not causing dropouts it does not qualify for a replacement modem. 

"I have contacted Telstra and reported my findings, however, I was told that this fault is not causing line dropouts, and this does not qualify me to receive a replacement."

This is not the first time a customer has reported a fault on a modem and been denied a replacement because internet is still working. The only option is to raise a complaint.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more