Ebfish
Level 2: Rookie

Gen 2 modem constantly dropping

Answered

Hello! My Gen 2 modem keeps dropping to the red light. It stays on red for up to 10mins then goes blue or green for 30secs and then back to red. I've rebooted it twice, kept happening. So I plugged in a brand new modem and it keeps happening with that too. Has been like this for atleast 5 hours  now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Gen 2 modem constantly dropping

Log into modem (http://192.168.0.1. password is Telstra) and check that the correct username and password has been entered in the Broadband PPPOE settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Presumably the new modem is a Telstra smart modem. You should check the  Telstra outages website.  

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
cf4

What colour are the lights on the back of the modem? What type of connection do you have (ADSL, Telstra cable, HFC, FTTN, FTTB, FTTC or NBN fixed wireless)?

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

What sort of service do you have?

Is there an NBN device installed? If so, are there any indicators showing there?

If you disconnect the WAN ethernet or  VSL (depending on your service), what happens? Hopefully the SM2 will lock into 4G backup mode - which would indicate an NBN fault..  if the SM2 keeps cycling, then it is probably a modem fault (but doesn't sound like it)

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Ebfish

Yeah the modem is the same as the original one I was using. And I have checked for outages a few times, unfortunately I wish it was just that. Thanks for the reply!

Ebfish

Adsl. When the light is red on the front, online and mobile mode is off at the back, wan/dsl flashing green and mobile signal and phone solid green. When the light turns blue at the front all the lights are green at the back (solid lights).

SteveW_52

Try taking the DSL cable out of the modem and see what happens?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
cf4
Accepted Solution

Log into modem (http://192.168.0.1. password is Telstra) and check that the correct username and password has been entered in the Broadband PPPOE settings.

View solution in original post

Ebfish

I think (hopefully) that may have worked! Trying not to get my hopes up, but I've had a constant green light for 10mins now! Thank you so much!!

SteveW_52

but how did it change??  and will it change again?

Stevo 52
Ebfish

I have no idea. I ended up changing my password. It seems to all be working fine now though.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more