Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Gen 2 Router and BYO Cisco RV180 Router

Today I converted my Telstra HFC cable service to the equivalent NBN service. The service came with the usual NBN modem and the Telstra gateway/router is the Arcadyan LH1000 (Telstra Gen 2).

The installation was uneventful and worked first time. The NBN modem came up without issue, VoiP service registered and I able to make and receive calls.

This is all fine, but I want to retain the use of my Cisco router and my VoIP service. In anticipation of today's migration, I posted a question in Crowd Support (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-modem-Gen-2-Technicolor-DJA0231...) asking whether I could retain the Cisco router. A solution was provided by @cf4 which seemed reasonable.

I used the following process as recommended.

1. Connect Gen 2 modem directly to NBN modem until the phone SIP has registered indicated by phone light turning green (Done and Successful).
  2. Disconnect Telstra modem from the NBN (Done).
  3. Connect Cisco router to NBN modem (Done and Successful)
  4. Perform network test from internal network (Done and Successful).
  5. Connect Telstra modem’s WAN port to LAN port on Cisco router (Done and Failed).
  6. Ensure the SIP/ALG setting in the Cisco router is disable (Done).
  7. Turn WiFi off on the Gen 2 modem and use it as VOIP adapter (Fail – Will not re-establish the SIP session through the Cisco router).

Observations:

1. When the Gen 2 router WAN port is connected to the Cisco router LAN ports, the WAN port doesn’t seem to be assigned an IP address. The WAN port doesn’t not appear in the Cisco router’s device list.
  2. The default IP range for the Gen router is 192.168.0.X. This is the same range as the Cisco router (This may be an issue).

Any assistance or guidance to get VoIP working behind the Cisco router would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Gen 2 Router and BYO Cisco RV180 Router

@Jack1954 wrote:
  1. The default IP range for the Gen router is 192.168.0.X. This is the same range as the Cisco router (This may be an issue).

You are correct in assuming the GEN 2 modem having the same range as the Cisco router (102.168.0.xx) may be an issue) because a router can't have a WAN IP address in the same range as the LAN IP address range.

Suggest you change the LAN IP address and LAN address range of GEN 2 modem. (example 192.168.10.xx)

Advanced > Local Network > Local Network

You might also have to enable SIP ALG settings in Cisco router if you have problems with incoming calls. Page 100 of manual. Just read the manual and the SIP ALG function is the opposite of normal routers.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/administration/guide/rv180w_admin.pdf

Highlighted

@cf4. All works.

As you suggested, I had to enable SIP ALG for incoming calls to work.

I also enabled remote access on the Gen 2 router and now I am able to access the management interface from my internal network.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

John

Highlighted

@cf4 After working for a few weeks in the new configuration, my RV180 failed!

I am seriously looking at buying a Ubiquiti UniFi USG router and wondering if you have had any experience with these routers. I have checked through the documentation and there is no mention of SIP ALG.

Are you able to assist with configuration?

Regards

John

Highlighted

I am not familiar with that router. I did a online search and there are quite a few articles and videos on how to disable SIP ALG.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Disable-SIP-ALG-on-USG-Instructions/8949b608-8136-4597-a086-e95c6...

Highlighted

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more