tasper
Level 1: Cadet

Google Nest Wifi keeps dropping out

I have a Telstra Gateway FAST5355-A modem (about 5 years old) with a Google Nest router connected to the LAN port. There are 2 more Google points in the house, which have an excellent connection to the router. Every 2 hours or so the wifi signal drops out for about 60 seconds, and it seems to be a problem with the router and points. WiFi is disabled on the modem, and there are no other devices connected. Previous posts I have read suggest putting it into bridge mode, but the modem software doesn't have the 'Bridge Mode' button I've seen on other posts. Not sure if this would fix it though.

I had the same hardware at my previous address, and the signal was brilliant at 50mbs. Moved earlier this year, connected hardware, and again signal was good, but then upgraded to 100mbs, and the problems started happening soon after. Not sure if it is a Telstra Modem problem i.e. not suitable for 100mbs or a Google issue. 

Grateful for any suggestions.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Google Nest Wifi keeps dropping out

Do any lights change on the modem during the 'dropouts'?

To help prove where the problem is, maybe disconnect the Google Nest for a while, renable the modem wi-fi and connect devices to that, then see if the dropouts continue?

Also try connecting devices to the modem by cable, to see if they drop out as well or just the Wi-Fi..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
tasper

The lights stay consistent. In the past, I checked by turning on the wifi, and connecting my phone. When the Nest signal dropped out, my phone was still connected to the Telstra wifi.

SteveW_52

If that is still the case, then it seems like it could be a Nest problem then?

My suggestions were just to help determine which system was the problem..  but the best test would be to have both Wi-Fis active - then if the Nest one drops out but the modem one stays active, that will prove it further?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

What type of internet connection do you have. If the connection doesn,t use the F@st5355 DSL port but uses the F@st5355 WAN port you could connect the google nest router directly to the NBN NTD or the Telstra cable adapter and bypass the F@st5355. This would determine if the F@st5355 is causing the problem.

tasper

I tried the Google Nest into the NBN box, and got a good signal, but that continued to drop out. I used the modem by itself, and once again more drop outs. That would indicate to me that the problem is an NBN issue , not my hardware. Twice I've been told that NBN were coming to look at it, and both times get a text saying the appointment is cancelled, and the issue is resolved,when it clearly isn't. Now Telstra are sending me a new modem.

Thank you both for your help.

cf4

It does seem like it is an NBN issue and not a modem issue. Even if the new modem doesn't fix issue at least you have a new modem with 4G backup, better WIFI, more LAN ports and 1 Gbps LAN ports compared to 100 Mbps LAN port of the F@st5355.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more