BadPanda
Level 3: Gumshoe

HDD plugged into Arcadyan keeps dropping out.

When Plex starts to scan library it drops the HDD off the network after scanning a fraction of the movies there, any ideas on what to do about this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: HDD plugged into Arcadyan keeps dropping out.

Is the Hard Drive plugged in using USB? Unfortunately USB devices have a nasty habit of doing this.

If you use the Hard Drive on a permanent basis on your network, you would be better off investing in a NAS drive that plugs in to a LAN port instead. They are much more reliable.

@cf4 may have some tips on improving the stability of USB Hard Drives with this modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

This could be due to the power required by the HDD being more thab a USB port can supply.. not sure what the limit is, but most USB ports max out around the 500mA mark..

Try using a powered, USB hub connected to the modem USB port, then connect the HDD to the hub..

The advice from @Jupiter is good, a proper networrk drive or NAS ia a better solution and can do much more.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

Is the Plex server connected to modem by a LAN port or by WiFi?

BadPanda

its a powered USB HDD

BadPanda

the Plex server is a Shield and Ive tried both

BadPanda

I think you are right, I was hoping to avoid the cost in buying a nas.

SteveW_52

Great, power is unlikely to be the issue then.

I used Plex a while ago but have moved over to Minim, which runs on my NAS, so probably can't help you further (I did have trouble when using a usb hard drive on the modem, but I don't use that configuration anymore).

A NAS might be cheaper than you think a couple of 4TB NAS drives will set you back about $160 each and I picked up a QNAP TS-253Be on FB Marletplace last week - about a year old, up to date firmware and available as a result of an upgrade to a 4 bay device for $120..  pretty happy with it as a backup music server mostly..  Smiley Happy

The query from @cf4  about where your Plex server is and how it connects to the modem is worth looking at. If you can use an ethernet connection (if you don't already) as at least a temporary measure to see if it makes a difference.

Stevo 52
BadPanda

I already have quite a few 4TB drives, my concern was future proofing and therefore buying something that can transcode, if the kids want to watch something on a chromecast via a TV. The Synology 920+ for example

cf4

Did you have DLNA turned off in the Arcadyan modem.

SteveW_52

can understand that..  it is a personal choice to suit your needs and to try and future proof as best you can..  Having set the new TS-253 up I am going to look at how best to use the built in 2 x HDMI ports, and a self contained video server is on the cards..  I need something to fill in my time lately..Smiley Very Happy

Stevo 52
BadPanda

I have now tried scanning the HDD with the DLNA off and on.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more