Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Help with setting up access point

Answered

I am very inexperienced with networking and having trouble figuring this out. I am attempting to follow the steps outlined here:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

The main router is a telstra branded technicolor TG799vac and the second that I am attempting to set up as an access point is a the telstra Sagemcom F@st 5355. They are connected LAN to LAN over cable. I have a desktop PC connected to the access point also by cable as well as several wireless devices.

Currently the access point almost seems to be working. After my first unsuccessful attempts when I went to try a second time I simply plugged the router in and turned it on and all seemed to be working as expected. Which just made me more confused.

However my connection through the access point today seems to be dropping very regularly which I assume is because it is not set up correctly.

I am attempting to set the ip of the second router to be within the range of the main router as per instructions in link above. However this is where I get lost. I can access both routers settings through 10.0.0.138 in a browser. However the router ip listed for the main router is 121.218.63.254. I was under the impression these addresses should be the same? However using 121.218.63.254 also allows me to access the main routers settings. The ip of the second router is set to 10.0.0.138 as expected. When trying to change the second routers IP to something within the range of the first, such as 121.218.63.253, it reads invalid ip address and will not let me change it.

Would really appreciate any guidance on what the proper steps I should be taking here are?

My assumption is that after this all I need to do is simply disable DHCP on the second router and everything should be working?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Help with setting up access point

Set second router to 10.0.0.140 and turn of DHCP in second router.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The IP address of second router must be within the LAN address range of the main router. The default for the TG799 is 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.1.254. 121.218.63.254 Is the WAN address of the main router.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Set second router to 10.0.0.140 and turn of DHCP in second router.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the response.

So it does not matter that the primary router is set to 121.218.63.254?
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The IP address of second router must be within the LAN address range of the main router. The default for the TG799 is 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.1.254. 121.218.63.254 Is the WAN address of the main router.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more