Paul225
Level 2: Rookie

Help with setting up PoE security camera

Hi,

I recently got a Annke PoE security camera and have trouble finding it with both the web interface or the software provided by the manufacturer. The PoE camera is connected to a PoE switch:

10 Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch | Jaycar Electronics

This is then connected to my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. The camera is getting power Ok from the PoE switch however can't activate it when I try to loggin to it as the camera manufacturer says in their manual it has a default IP of 192.168.1.64. The manufacturer (Annke) also provides software to activate the camera however it is unable to find it. Any ideas what settings I should be checking in the Telstra modem? Not very router savy.

Cheers, Paul.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Help with setting up PoE security camera

The reason you can't access the camera is becaus the modem uses the 192.168.0.xx subnet. The camera uses the 192.168.1.xx s subnet.

There are two ways you can fix this:

1. Set a static IP address on the PC in the same subnet as the camera. Connect PC directly to camera and change its IP address to be in same subnet as modem. Example 192.168.0.64. Can connect PC via switch if you need to power the camera...
  2. Change the subnet used by the modem to 192.168.1.xx (Advanced > Local Network). Change IP address to 192.168.1.1, Start DHCP address to 192.168.1.2 and end DHCP address to 192.168.1.254.

I had several cameras so I changed the modem's IP address. There are instructions for how to change address of modem in section 27 document linked in these posts.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

Paul225

Ok thankscf4. I changed the subnet as per your 2. option as I was planning to get a few more, restarted everything however still no luck talking to the camera. I tried accessing it via the web browser as they said in the manual just put in the camera IP however still no response. Is there something in Windows firewall or the modem that would prevent me from accessing it? I also note that the PoE camera when connected to the PoE switch only the green light on the ethernet port is on not the yellow data light. I've tried using a different ethernet cable same result. It's brand new so assume there's no issues with the camera.

Cheers, Paul.

cf4

There is nothing in the modem's firewall that would block access to the camera's. Have you checked in the modem's home page if the camera is connected to modem. The camera should show under ethernet connected devices.

There are two versions of the Gen 2 modem. One made by Arcadyan (LH1000) and the other made by Technicolor (DJA0231). What version do you have and what version is the firmware. The modem's model and firmware is displayed on the LHS of the modem's log in page.

Paul225

Hi cf4,

Finally managed to get it working with your help thanks and with the Annke App can view live stream and everything else seems to work Ok when I'm at home with WiFi. However whenever I leave home and I'm on the 4G network the App is unable to connect to the camera. Followed instructions from Annke support however no luck so far. Would there be any settings in the Telstra Smart Modem preventing me to access live stream when on 4G? Got the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000. When I'm back on on WiFi all works well.

Cheers, Paul.

Paul225

Should I mentioned I double checked Local network  and Mobile Data are both enabled for the App on my iPhone however can't connect to the camera when on 4G.

Rohan123
Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

Hi @Paul225  @cf4 is way better explaining this stuff than me, However I believe your problem exists because you have to set up port forwarding, To be able to view your camera outside of your own home network.

I know this because I had the same problem years ago.

I have found some instructions on how to hopefully achieve this in the link below.

https://portforward.com/telstra/smart-modem-gen-2/

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Paul225

@Rohan123, Ok thanks for the info. I'll give that a go, 

Cheers, Paul.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more