Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Helpful tip about 4G BACKUP of TELSTRA SMART MODEM GEN 2

Answered
Some TELSTRA SMART MODEM GEN 2 units may be defaulting to IPv6-only service during 4G-backup service periods. If you are experiencing this problem check the following advanced setting in your modem: HOME --> Login --> Advanced --> Internet --> LTE --> Mobile Configuration --> PDP Type If your says "IPv6" then change it to "IPv4v6" to restore IPv4 access during periods when the 4G service is required.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Helpful tip about 4G BACKUP of TELSTRA SMART MODEM GEN 2

All the smart modem's by default are set to use IPv6 on 4G backup. The above method only works for the Arcadyan version of the smart modem. On the Technicolor version the method for enabling IPv4 is different.

1. Go to Advanced > Mobile > Profile tab.
  2. Create a new profile the same as the default profile but with a different name and PDP set to IPv4v6
  3. Save profile
  4. Go to Advanced > Mobile > Configuration tab.
  5. Edit the Interface and select the new profile created in step 2/3.
  6. Save setting.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

All the smart modem's by default are set to use IPv6 on 4G backup. The above method only works for the Arcadyan version of the smart modem. On the Technicolor version the method for enabling IPv4 is different.

1. Go to Advanced > Mobile > Profile tab.
  2. Create a new profile the same as the default profile but with a different name and PDP set to IPv4v6
  3. Save profile
  4. Go to Advanced > Mobile > Configuration tab.
  5. Edit the Interface and select the new profile created in step 2/3.
  6. Save setting.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Another helpful tip is that the smart modem can be used as LTE modem with a normal Telstra Mobile Broadband SIM inserted. There is no throttling of the speed when a normal SIM is used. To use a normal SIM the APN has to be changed to telstra.internet.

To change APN in the Arcadyan go to Advanced > Internet > Mobile tab. Change APN to telstra. Internet and save changes.

To change APN in Technicolor go to Advanced > Mobile > Configuration tab. Edit Interface, select the telstra.internet profile and save changes.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

@cf4are you aware of any Telstra-acknowledged purpose that limiting the 4G backup service to IPv6 only has? To my naive perspective, this appears to be a service configuration fault, since not even the "My Telstra App" seems to be able to communicate with its back-end services to assist/assuage the user when IPv4 is unavailable. I've tried calling their support service regarding this, and their first-level support staff have no idea which second level to send this concept to, other than "Telstra Mobile Support" because of the 4G involvement.

Another random tip: the APN name for the 4G NBN backup service appears to be: telstra.hybrid, however leaving the APN name blank presumably defaults to this.

Highlighted

The problem of IPv6 only on the WAN effecting some devices and services is due to the Arcadyan modem's implementation of IPv4 tunneling through IPv6. This might be fixed in a future update on the modem.

I can see why Telstra has decided to set the 4G backup to IPv6 only. The internet is gradually being converted to IPv6 due to a lack of IPv4 address. On 4G  networks due to lack of available  IPv4 address the IPv4 address on the WAN is not public and causes problems with some peer to peer online games and apps. IPv6 Gloobal address is fully routable. There is enough IPv6 address available to give every device a unique global address that can be connected to remotely from anywhere on the internet.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

That's very good. I got a smart modem from my son..he can't get mobile where he is and uses telstra nbn..so no good for him..Foyr a while the modem shift to mobile mode and worked great.

However now i5s buffering ..

I was going to try a boost data  SIM ..would that work for lite?

Even though boost uses the Telstra network I don't think the boost SIM will work. You would have to change the APN name to Boost_Mobile

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more