steve_css
Level 1: Cadet

HFC Model local Ip

Hi,

Just moved to nbn over hfc today and mostly it's working but I'm only able to connect to the modem via wifi.  I have a local network running on the 192.168.20.x range so before I connect the local network to the modem I want to change the local ip address of the modem to this range, say 192.168.20.250.  When I do this it reports an IP address conflict.  I can change to 192.168.19.250 and 192.168.21.250 just fine.  Nothing else is connected to the modem.   I have a whole network setup on this range with lots of devices so I don't want to move to another range if I can help it.

Can someone tell me if the 192.168.20.x range is reserved or should I be able to use this range.

The model is a white Telstra branded box with 4g backup.  I think it's called Frontier.

Many thanks

Steve

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: HFC Model local Ip

Some Telstra Gateways use 192.168.20.xxx for the Telstra Air/ Fon Network others use 192.168..182.xxx.

On the F@st 5355 there is a hack for changing IP address to 192.168.0.xxx which is the LAN address used for the guest network. If you have the F@st 5355 the hack might work for the 192.168.20.xxx address range.

The hack can be found at the end of this document

steve_css
Level 1: Cadet

Re: HFC Model local Ip

thanks cf4, I couldn't get the hack to work, but I did manage to get a draytek router to sit between the Telstra router and by local network, and that is working fine. Complete overkill but a bit more secure and all else is beyond my competency.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more