ARK1
Level 1: Cadet

How can I remove devices from my device list and changing device name on mygateway

I have 10 devices in my Device list that belong to friends that i wish to remove from my list. They are just on the standard device list not a black/white list. I have a TG799vac, however the new design of mygateway is different. There is no selection to configure WIFI. 

So my question is there another way to be able to do it myself without changing anything or calling Telstra and have them do it?

All I want to do is remove them from the list.

Also is there a way to change device names as well. All devices have specific names I have given them from the start but doesn't show up in mygateway. For example I have a mobile and it device name is like andriod628376237. When on my Phones I have it as My Phone. The device name however doesn't show up as what i set it as.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: How can I remove devices from my device list and changing device name on mygateway

Hi ARK1,

In the latest firmware update removing inactive devices from that list is only possible by resetting the modem to it's factory settings, which will also wipe any modifications that you have made to the modem, like Time of Day settings, or renaming the WiFi channel.  There is an option to hide inactive devices so that only currently connected devices are shown.

In regard to the device name, it is not possible to re-name them in the modem interface, the modem will display the name that the device is transmitting.

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

johnmartindale
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: How can I remove devices from my device list and changing device name on mygateway

Geday Ben

With all due respect that is a bloody useless approach. Upgrades are meant to improve the user interface otherwise put it back how it was. Regards John

ImNoLuddite-BUT

Hi Ben

Up until the firmware update I was able to rename & remove devices.  I've spent ages this morning on this site trying to find a way to remove a device that is CONNECTED that I no longer want connected, and you're saying it is no longer possible?

So if somone manages to hack into my wifi connection, you're saying there's no way to disconnect or remove them?????

Not only is it useless, in my opinion it's also extremely unsafe!

Julie

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi I'mNoLuddite-BUT

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you when they return to work on Monday. 

If you need earlier assistance, please speak with our 24x7 Technical Support team on 133933 or via Live Chat http://tel.st/gq6m

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Hi, did this get resolved? I assumed this was an error with the software on my modem/browser error (797v3) but to read this is the expected behaviour is very disappointing and I hope it is being reviewed as a priority.

Cheers

AbbyWinters

This seems to be an ongoing issue since the routers were upgraded. It's an exceptionally poor user interface now, and much less user friendly.  The need to delete/block devices simply and easily is paramount.  Telstra please find a way around this issue asap.

GNTL

If you (or anyone) let me know how to add or remove access to devices and more importantly, edit their names (as mac addresses r not easy to recognise), please let me know. I have a TG799vac with latest firmware.

Robbo05
Level 2: Rookie

How can I edit/rename devices from my device list on my modem gateway page

Hello. I'm hoping someone might be able to help or render some helpful advice.

I have a similar issue with my Technicolor TG797n v3

I can't seem to be able to edit names of connected devices showing in my WIFI or wired list. I'd like to clean them up and either:

*  rename them (so I can easily identify them)

*  remove them altogether

*  fill in missing info in the 'Hostnames' column

To clarify, I can see the MAC address of all my devices and the iP address of most of them but the 'Hostnames' are either missing, showing just a generic name/brand or need editing

To make it more somewhat frustrating, I can clearly remember being able to edit the names in the past on this modem so either an update has occurred and that functionailty removed or I have inadvertantly changed a setting myself  

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Robbo

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: How can I edit/rename devices from my device list on my modem gateway page

If you change the name on the individual devices, it will update in the modem.

Shelly

skbot

Re: How can I edit/rename devices from my device list on my modem gateway page

That doesn't apply to Android phones Shellock. The device name correctly appears for most devices, e.g. iPhones, desktops, laptops but android phone names don't appear in the modem device list. The label that appears in the list is something like android-hexhexhex..... This must be an internal number in the firmware somewhere. If you select that label in the modem list you can identify the device by the wi-fi MAC address - settings/about/Phone identity. And if you have your phone connected it will show as 'active' status in the modem device list. As far as the name that appears in your android 'Phone Name' then there appears to be no answer. Maybe the newer wireless modems will recognise the android phone name. F.y.i.... my wireless modem is an old Thomson TG782T. Perhaps Telstra support may be able to answer this one. I for one am not going to waste my time once again trying to communicate with Telstra support. I'm going to a new ISP.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more