Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How do I buy a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 as an existing customer?

Answered

How do I buy a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2? I've been on HFC NBN with Telstra for several years and want to upgrade from my old Gateway Frontier router. But there's no obvious way to purchase?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I buy a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 as an existing customer?

There is a sales and live chat link on that page were you should be able to purchase the modem without signing up for a 24 month contract. There are also plenty of second hand Gen 2 modems for sale. I have seen second hand modems at cash convertors for $30.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

You can purchase the gen 2 modem at link below.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/modem?red=social-crowd-sidebar:smartmodemgen2

There are two versions of the Smart modem one made by Technicolor and the other by Arcadyan. There is little difference in performance between the Telstra Gateway Frontier. The only advantage being that VOIP works when modem is in 4G backup and the gen 2 is also compatible with the gen 2 WiFi boosters. In som respects the Frontier is better than the Arcadyan Gen 2 smart modem.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yeah, I'm looking to then pair it with the Gen2 Boosters.  Following that link doesn't look like it leads to anywhere to actually purchase the modem.  Looks like you have to enter into a new 2-year plan in order to then add the modem as an extra in the bundle.  PITA.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

There is a sales and live chat link on that page were you should be able to purchase the modem without signing up for a 24 month contract. There are also plenty of second hand Gen 2 modems for sale. I have seen second hand modems at cash convertors for $30.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi - I've been looking on Gumtree and eBay for a second hand Gen 2 smart modem. I'm a little confused as there seems to be 2 different types - one in a purple box and one green that also works for ADSL connection. Are these the same modems? Can I get the second one (green box) for my fixed cable connection?

Highlighted

There are two different versions but both can be used on any type of connection. The only difference is the cables supplied with the modem. In my opinion the Technicolor version (DJA0231) is better than the Arcadyan version (LH1000).

If you have Telstra cable you also need a cable adapter. The cable adapter is a cable modem with a coaxial port for connecting to coax wall plate and an Ethernet port for connecting to Gen 2 modem.  

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back but I am still a little confused.  I have the Telstra cable coming into the back of a non Arris CM8200 black modem. This is connected to my Telstra Gateway modem via the WAN. My phone is connected to the Gateway modem. The Gateway modem is connected to the Foxtel adapter connected to the power outlet. 

Highlighted

You should be able replace your Telstra Gateway with any of the Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem's. The WAN port of GEN 2 modem will connect to Ethernet port on black modem.

Highlighted

Hi cf4

Just reread what I sent and have fixed up the typos : 

Thanks for getting back but I am still a little confused.  I have the Telstra cable coming into the back of a NBN Arris CM8200 black modem. This is connected to my Telstra Gateway modem via the WAN. My phone is connected to the Gateway modem. The Gateway modem’s LAN is connected to the Foxtel NetComm Wireless adaptor’s Ethernet connection. The Adaptor is connected to the power outlet.

Highlighted

Thanks mate - sorry just read your response. Ignore the typo remix. You've helped this old Ludite a couple of times now - Rob

Highlighted

Hi - me again - I have bought a second hand Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231 smart modem on Gumtree. I have managed to change the  Wi-Fi name and password to my old Gateway modem name and password. I've managed to get my devices linked up to Wi-Fi so am happy. Do I have to do anything else regarding the "new" modem? How do I know if the firmware is up to date. Will the 4G back up sim work?

Rob

Highlighted

The firmware is displayed on LHS of modems log in page. The latest firmware for the modems are:

Arcadyan LH1000 Firmware no 0.10.05r

Technicolor DJA0231 Firmware no 18.1.c.0462-950-RB

You can check if 4G backup works by disconnecting main link (DSL or WAN port) and waiting about 4 minutes. Front light should turn blue and Wireless Mode light should turn green.

Highlighted

Thanks again! Just got back from a walk and everything is hunky dory - Firmware up to date and 4G backup works as you described. I'm a happy camper! Thanks for all your help.

Highlighted

Hi cf4 – happy Anzac Day.

Me again I have logged into the gateway http://192.168.0.1using admin/Telstra and went Advanced and then to the Time of day access control where I found there was “Enabled rule exists for the device” The Start time is 15:30 and Stop time is 16:00 for every day day of the week. The Mode says allow. The device says Unknown-9c:b6:d0:60:dd:4b I don’t know the device but it does say allow.

As I got the DJA2031 second hand I’m wondering if I have to do anything about this? Can I just delete the rule?

Highlighted

Hi cf4 – happy Anzac Day.

Me again I have logged into the gateway http://192.168.0.1using admin/Telstra and went Advanced and then to the Time of day access control where I found there was “Enabled rule exists for the device” The Start time is 15:30 and Stop time is 16:00 for every day day of the week. The Mode says allow. The device says Unknown-9c:b6:d0:60:dd:4b I don’t know the device but it does say allow.

As I got the DJA2031 second hand I’m wondering if I have to do anything about this? Can I just delete the rule?

Highlighted

I would suggest you just delete the rule as it was probably put there by previous owner. I would also do a factory reset incase there are any other custom settings made by previous user.

Highlighted

Thanks again - have done that and everything seems ok! Cheers

Highlighted

Hi there - I hope you don't mind me keep asking for your help. 

With my DJA0231 smart modem the Wi-Fi connection to my Foxtel iQ4 box keeps having to be reset via the pair button every morning for some reason. The set up I have is the modem is connected to the NBN modem via WAN. Its LAN is connected to the NetcommWireless AC 500Mbps Powerline AC pass-through Foxtel adapter's Ethernet port. My Mac computer connects to the modem via Wi-Fi. My tv connects by Wi-Fi and is plugged into a is plugged into a paired NetcommWireless AC 500Mbps Powerline AC pass-through Foxtel adapter. The Foxtel iQ4 box is satellite but is connected to the Ethernet port on the Foxtel adapter.

Is there any way to fix the Wi-Fi connection issue that seems to happen overnight when computer and tv are off.

Regards - Rob

Highlighted

Are both the TV and the Foxtel box connected to the same Netcom Wireless Adapter?

Highlighted

Yep - thanks for your prompt reply and sorry I took so long to reply to you - have been on my daily exercise walk

Highlighted

The netcom adaptor only has one ethernet port how are both devices conne ted to the same adapter.

Highlighted

Both are plugged into a power board which is plugged into the adapter.

Highlighted

So the TV and Foxtel box are plugged into power socket on the Power board which is plugged into the AC adapter but only the Foxtel box is connected to Ethernet port on AC adapter?

Highlighted

Yep - and the tv is connected to modem by Wi-Fi

Highlighted

sorry - have to go out - will be back later. One thing I should add perhaps is that the power lights on the Netcomm adapters are dim when I get up in the morning.

Highlighted

perhaps go into power saving?

Highlighted

just checked - I mean the power activity light.

Highlighted

I never come across this problem myself as I have never used a power line adaptor. I have heard of other people with a similar problem but haven't seen a solution. The power line adapter goes to sleep if it is not in use. If you are turning the power socket that adapter is plugged into off overnight you could try leaving it on.

Highlighted

Just got back in - no I don't turn it off overnight - . Thanks for your thoughts and time - it is an odd one.

Cheers - Rob

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more