Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How do I control access to each device on a Telstra smart gen2 Modem?

How do I control access to each device on a Telstra smart gen2 Modem?

Another telstra customer has done it.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: How do I control access to each device on a Telstra smart gen2 Modem?

There are two ways you can do this.

1. If you want to control which WiFi devices can connect to the modem you would use MAC filtering. You can use a white list which allows only devices on the list to connect or you can use a black list which blocks the devices on the list. The instructions depend on which version of the Gen 2 Smart modem you have but in general log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra and go to advanced WiFi. Select each WiFi band in turn and look for Access control. 
  2.  The second method is parental time control which controls the time that a particular device can access the internet. The device will still be able to connect to the modem. log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra and go to Parental Controls on the basic home page.

If you need help you can press the question mark  (?) at top right of the page.

There is an link to a unofficial manual for the Smart Modem Gen 1.1 which GUI is similar to the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 Modem at the end of this post. See section 19 and 6

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank-you cf4 that is great info.

Apparently there is a telstra modem that can control devices from the device list.

But mac address black listing can do the job albeit a little cumbersome.

Highlighted

There is the Telstra Home Dashboard app that can be installed on a IOS or Android device that displays all the devices connected to the modem. The Device name and type can be edited but the devices internet access can't be controlled.

All the modems I am familiar with have devices listed on the home page and you can control some functions but not there internet access. The Arcadyan version of the Telstra Smart Modem might support this or the other customer might have had a non Telstra modem or Firewall.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more