Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How do I find the Firmware version? TG797n v3

Answered

I keep reading thread after thread for days now about updating firmware and suggestions for people to go to their modem's user interface to check which version they have. OK, I've searched for 2 days now and I give up.

HOW do I find my "modem's user interface"? Please help before I tear out any more hair.

I am on fixed wireless NBN (have been for 2 years) and we were supplied with the TG799 which died within a month, so we went back to the TG797 we already had from when we got ADSL2+ connected. The 797 works better than the 799 and has a wider range. But now it seems to have gone wacky.

I will explain what my Router (or Modem or whatever the TG797n v3 is called). is doing:
Starting a few weeks ago it refuses to open most websites. They usually say "Timed Out' or 'Cannot open this website" or "Cannot Find this Website'. These are websites I normally go to every day, including Forums I am a Moderator/Admin in.
But there is nothing wrong with the my internet because 'You Tube' and 'Netflix' open every time, and play videos faultlessly. But simple common websites I have been using for years won't open! Even this Telstrs site (I am using a borrowed dongle to write this).

I want to check I am up to date with Firmware but can't find out where to check or how to do it. Yes, I registered my Modem/Router with my Bigpond account. Could it be something other than a Firmware update needed?

And as my original question is about: How do I find my "modem's user interface"?

Please be patient with my questions as I am Computer illterate. Answers need to be dumbed down for me.

Cheers,
Ken 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I find the Firmware version? TG797n v3

Thanks Tezz, but Dani39 of the Telstra support team solved it for me. I had to use just the numbers 10.0.0.138 without the http: stuff in front. Then it worked.

Weird huh!

But thank you for your assistance.

Cheers

Ken

P.S. Once in, I updated the firmware and all works well now.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi, Ken,

Thank you for your post.

To access your modem's interface, simply open a web browser, like Internet Explorer, and type http:// 10.0.0.138 into the address bar. This will take you to the user interface where you will be prompted to enter your username and password.

If you haven't set up a login, The default values would be as follows:

Username: admin

Password: admin

☆ If those values aren't accepted, try leaving the fields blank.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply Tezz, but that web address only takes me to Bing Search.

I tried it again without the http:// in the front but it goes to the same place.

Any other suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Cheers

Ken

Highlighted

Hi, Ken,

That's very odd. It's definitely your router's address.

Below is an excerpt which I copied and pasted straight from the user manual.

"The only way you can access or make changes to your router settings is when you run your Install CD, or by accessing the Web Graphical User Interface (GUI) on the router.

To access your GUI, you need to open a web browser, eg Internet Explorer, and type http:// 10.0.0.138 into your address bar. This will take you to the Web GUI on your router."

Maybe try hooking up the router to your PC with an Ethernet cable and attempt again to access the interface.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks Tezz, but Dani39 of the Telstra support team solved it for me. I had to use just the numbers 10.0.0.138 without the http: stuff in front. Then it worked.

Weird huh!

But thank you for your assistance.

Cheers

Ken

P.S. Once in, I updated the firmware and all works well now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That's awesome, Ken.

I didn't know that. Thanks to @Dani39 for shedding some light on this. 👍

I'm glad it's all sorted. Take good care.

Kind regards,

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hey guys. I'm having a similar problem as Ken though I'm accessing my modem via iPhone. I have located the software version as 10.3.V.C on the advanced section. Not sure if this is what I'm looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ed6,

If you have a Technicolor modem, then you can access the modems interface by using 10.0.0.138 or telstra.gateway in the address bar of your web browser.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more