JimJ
Level 4: Private Eye

How do I retain contacts list when resetting smart modem gen 2 by the reset on back of modem?

The modem appeared to have dropped out several times during the night. I could not log in. Had to do a reset via reset button on back of modem. Have lost all saved contacts. I am using T-hub2 handsets paired to the modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How do I retain contacts list when resetting smart modem gen 2 by the reset on back of modem?

Which version of the modem do you have? There are two the LH1000 and the DJA0231. If you reset via the graphic user interface it gives you the option of saving phone contacts.

To retain contacts on the DJA0231 log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra and go to Advanced > Modem. Tick the box next to retain contacts.

To retain contacts on the LH1000 log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra and go to Advanced > Management > System Reset. Tick the box next to keep phonebooks.

If you save the setting next time you have to reset the phone book should be retained.

JimJ

Re: How do I retain contacts list when resetting smart modem gen 2 by the reset on back of modem?

I have the the DJA0231.

I know about retaining the contacts if you do a reset after you log in but I have never had to do a reset that way.

If you tick the box to retain the contacts and you do not do a reset in the web interface but just log out, the next time you go to that page that box is no longer ticked.

This morning I noticed that the modem had several dropouts during the night.  I tried to log into but could not.   I used the correct password.

I had to do a reset via the reset button on the back of the modem.

So my question is;

By ticking the box to retain the contacts in the web interface, does that retain the contacts if you do a reset using the reset button on the back of the modem where you cannot log into the modem?

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi JimJ. 

I do not see why it would not retain the contacts if you have already selected this previously and have to a reset using the button on the back of the modem. I have never heard of an issue with someone resetting their modem and losing contacts in the ten years of working here. That said, technology is not perfect, so always a good idea to have a physical copy of your contacts in the event something goes wrong.

- Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JimJ

TommyR

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully the next time I have to reset the contacts are there.

I guess that after each reset one would have to tick the box to retain the contacts in the web interface as the tick disappears when you leave and return to that page.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - you have an interesting case. Just wishing to clarify a few things. When you do a Factory Reset by using a paperclip into the hole in the back of the modem with power ON, my understanding is that all customised programming is wiped so I would find it unusual that a Contacts list , if it exists, would be exempt. That setting box has me perplexed - I am not sure why it is there and if it is an Active agent. There also doesn't appear an ability to SAVE a Back-Up Configuration file for your modem's customised  settings. 

I don't have talent or spotting things sometimes and happy to be told I need to go to SpecSavers but I can't see how you could enter phone numbers in a Contact or PhoneBook list into a DJA0231 as there is no input for this on my DJA0231 nor is there a screen showing any numbers that are resident.  How did you do this? 

I take it you no longer use the T Hub 2 Tablet or THub 2 Base Station and the TH68s are from that original setup are directly paired to the DJA0231 through a cordless DECT pairing. THub 2 was before my time, so I don't know if you can connect the THub 2 Base Station to the modem with a telephone cable without having the Base Station also connected to a modem with an Ethernet cable for full system integrity which would include a back up from your THub 2 account.   

If you have the THub 2 Base Station connected to the modem with a telephone cable, are the Contact numbers actually in the Base Station - the retention of the Phonebook list after the Base loses power may depend on the T-Hub 2 Tablet being connected to your modem via WiFi as the back up source.

JimJ

Hi

The T-hub2 base station and tablet died some time back. They were a good thought bubble that could have done with more development. I have friends that still have the Thub1 working. Must be the only one!!

I have kept it "just in case" I may be able to bring it back to life. Someone out there will come with a way!!

Back to the Smart Modem.

I paired the TH68s directly to the Smart Modem. They show up as Handset 1, Handset 2 and Handset 3 in the Telephony page of the modem.

I have been saving contacts to a handset. The contacts do transfer to the other handsets so there must be a central storage somewhere.

As you have noted, I also cannot find where the contacts are stored.

It must be in the modem as there is provision to Retain Contacts by ticking the box under Restart.

Phone calls are retained under "Call Log" in the Telephony page.

Paging works OK from the modem's Telephony page. I have not tried to transfer a call or page another handset from a handset.

The caller's voice is very clear.

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. The Sagem THub1 certainly had a very short product life cycle  - I was always put off by Telstra's advertising for THub - poor old 'Alexander Graham Bell's' talking head looked like a doppleganger of Father Christmas floating in his glass canister.

If the Phone's Contacts menu allows you to save a telephone number to your local handset phone book and you see that number appear in other handsets, it may be that the TH68's auto update each other in a peer-to-peer DECT networking arrangement which is possible. When I do this on my old Panasonic KX-TG8033AL DECT GAP system using Handset 1, I have to Copy the new telephone number to Handset 2 and then do the same again for Handset 3 separately - its base Station has no dialing capability or display, so maybe it is not involved. 

Just checked the T-Voice 502 handset (Technicolor TH89 which replaced the TH68) and it only has shows my Arcdayan modem's the central common access PhoneBook entries that I typed into its Telephony GUI screen. It was  easier to do in the GUI screen than on the handset. Can't understand why the Technicolor modem appears to have a hidden page for DECT - maybe it will come out in future firmware. 

The T-Voice 503 handset is made by SGW Global and displays two Phone Books - Local Contacts for that phone which are personal to each handset , therefore can be different for all 6 handsets, and then the Base Contacts for those entered into the modem and are for common access from all phones.  The same occurs on another Panasonic CATiq2.0 handset  KX-TPA60 which is from a SIP-DECT Base Station that I have paired to the Arcadyan - it has two phone books, Local and Base. 

It's good to know the TH68s link well and give great HD audio - they are DECT GAP only which is subset of the CATiq 2.0 DECT used in the Gen 2 modems. They should function well for basic connectivity but may not  support higher functionality offered by the modem or may support some of those features on the DJA0231 due to their Technicolor heritage. It is good to see people extending the life of technology where possible. 

Thanks for sharing your case with us. 

JimJ

Thanks for the reply and the info on the TH68.. It is hard to glean info on branded devices.

It is good to see people extending the life of technology where possible.

What do I do with 10 or so ADSL modems I have sitting in my spare room?

Mkrtich

They may still be of interest to some people. If any of your friends and family have Wi-Fi coverage issues in home, ADSL modems can be re-used as remote LAN-LAN cable connected Wi-Fi Enabled Access Points, USB or Ethernet Print Servers. For applications that prefer a LAN-WAN for separate networks for privacy, some ADSL modems have the ability to change a LAN port to a WAN port.

Failing that, social organisations like Substation33 at Logan in Brisbane either repurpose unwanted office and home technology for the needy or process it as eWaste. Some of us become hobby collectors and home museum keepers of past technologies as reminders our past. One of my tech regrets was disposing of my Apple 2 and the first produced 1984 Mac twenty years ago. Smiley Happy

I meant to add a question in my last reply - does your TH68 handset menu show a Local Contact and Base  Contact selection option for programming in telephone numbers.

JimJ

The TH68 does not show any option for contact selection.

The Menu Items are

"Add Contact"

"View Details"

"Edit"

"Set as Speed Dial"

"Delete Contact"

"Memory Status."

Memory Status gives

"Network Timeout"

"Please try again later"

I have had dealings with Substation33. That was my next port of call with all the bits of internet stuff and all the expansion boards (graphic cards, PCI USB cards etc).

Mkrtich

Thanks for confirming the Contacts menu choices. It is strange that the DJA0231 modem may/does have a Phone Book but not show it or allow any edit capability from its GUI screens. Maybe it is not considered important in France. 

For curiosity, I just entered a new number into the T-Voice 502 (TH89) and its shows up in the Arcadyan modem's Phone Book, confirming that particular Technicolor handset appears not have a Local Phone Book unlike the T-SGW Voice 503 which has two Contacts, Local and Base. As the T-Voice 502 and  T-Voice 503 are  CATiq 2.0 DECT handsets that integrate fully to Gen 2 modems, they also show the firmware of the Handset and the Arcadyan modem's firmware in their displays. 

I even checked pages of the unofficial white hat development team Smiley Happy who have gained root access for Technicolor modems on whirlpool.net.au. This allows them to see some hidden tiles on Technicolor modems, making it a total of 21-27 tiles depending on what version dashboard they select. Non of the hidden tiles cover DECT only but there may be an expanded view of the Telephony screens which includes the Phone Book in their versions.   

JimJ

That interesting. I have an Arcadyan modem sitting on the floor here. On of my friends ended up with two modems, a Technicolor and Arcadyan, due to Telstra sending one in the mail and the Tech bringing the other.

I was going to try the Arcadyan if the Technicolor would not play with the TH68s.

Interesting that the Arcadyan has menu access to a phone book and the Technicolor does not.

I shall check the whirlpool forum.

Thanks

cf4

Early models of the Technicolor modem had a phone book in the GUI. It was removed in the original Telstra Smart Modem DJA0231. The T Gateway (TG799vac) and the Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130) both had a phone book. I expect the Technicolor modems still have a phone book but access to it via the GUI has been removed.

Mkrtich

Both variants of the Telstra Gen 2 modems are competent fully featured 802.11 ac Wave 2 Broadband modems. If the Technicolor one is meeting your needs, you may wish to stay with it. Handy to have a standby modem for any future issues that arise. There is also a comparison table of the two modems in the Crowd Support Wiki which is intended to be a dynamic document as differences are identified by contributors. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/comparison-between-technicolor-dja0231-and-arca... 

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

If you need a hand in grabbing those contacts, have a chat with our technical team here: https://tel.st/e35e5

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more