Gladstone1
Level 2: Rookie

How to connect non-Telstra ADSL modem tp-link Archer VR1600v

I replaced my dead Telstra TG587n V3 ADSL modem with non-Telstra issued tp-link Archer VR1600v. Other than entering settings for ADSL, PPPoE and user credentials does Telstra need to be notified to manually “register” the modems new MAC address since this is a non-Telstra modem? I have entered the settings and there is no internet connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to connect non-Telstra ADSL modem tp-link Archer VR1600v

No. You don't need to notify Telstra. You can use any compatible modem on an ADSL connection.

What settings did you use?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gladstone1

Thank you for your reply. My settings are:

Internet Connection Type= PPPoE

Modulation= ADSL

VPI/VCI= 8/35

Connection Mode= Auto

Authentication= Auto

IPv4= Enable

IPv6= Disable

MAC address clone= No

Username= xxxx@bigpond.com (for primary account)

Password= xxxx

Using modem diagnostic “Test internet connection” fails with “DSL link fail”. I thought if my username credentials were incorrect this might have indicated something to that affect. 

Modem DSL LED is on (sync ok)

Modem Internet LED is off

cf4

Is the DSL light on the modem green?

cf4

Strange that the DSL light should be on but the error is DSL link fail.

Those settings look ok. Have you checked the Advanced > Network > DSL settings?

Gladstone1

Thank you for your reply. Yes, DSL light is green however i don’t think it is a dual colour light. 

User manual says:

DSL light solid= DSL sync completed

DSL light blink= DSL sync in progress

DSL light off= DSL sync fail

Gladstone1

Briefly, but I didn’t change anything there. I will go back and record those settings. 

cf4

A few other things to check

On the Advanced > Status page is the DSL link shown as connected with DSL Current rate, Max rate, SNR Margin etc have values other than 0?

On the Advanced > Network > DSL what is the status for the ADSL connection?

Gladstone1

Thank you

Advanced > Network > DSL 

Connection status= Connecting

Perhaps for DSL light purpose “sync” is different to connected. I will go back and record the rate, margin etc. 

Unfortunately I have run out of time today, so that will have to be tomorrow. I have tried twice with Telstra Live Message support but that hasn’t been very useful.

Thanks for the help so far, I feel more confident in the settings so I am closer to resolving this now. 

cf4

If the DSL link is shown as connected I suspect the wrong password might have been entered. In the past when the password on the primary email account was changed it also changed the ADSL password. This doesn't still happen and the ADSL password might be different to the email password. 

Gladstone1

Noted, thanks. I did not know how else to verify the primary account username and password. I tried unsuccessfully to log into Telstra online account and Telstra webmail with primary account but I think I have changed those so that I use the secondary email address and password. So webmail only shows secondary account. I only use a secondary email address day-to-day. Anyway, I reset the primary account password during this exercise via https://www.telstra.com.au/help/adsl-modem-password. All in all, I tried the old primary, new primary and secondary credentials with no luck. I will try again tomorrow.

RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

Heey Gladstone1,

Your username will be listed against your internet and online account as -@bigpond.com 

If you enter that into the log in box and select 'forgot password' it will help you reset for the username and get you in.,

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more