KylePengilly
Level 1: Cadet

How to connect Telstra Smart Modem to any ethernet port

Ok so, like any household, there are multiple ethernet ports around the house which are available, however the only port that the modem successfully uses is the “Phone” port at the front of the house. Whenever I try to use a different one (Blank with no “phone” label) I only recieve a solid purple “Link” light as well as orange signal. Is there a way around this so I can locate my router closer to the centre of the house?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to connect Telstra Smart Modem to any ethernet port

To use a more convenient socket you would to the socket connected to the lead in cable  from the street and the existing socket disconnected by a qualified electrician.

KylePengilly
Level 1: Cadet

Ok, so what are the uses of other ethernet ports if they cannot be used to connect My modem to the nbn. Also, I was under the impression that the smart modem didnt need a phone line to function or did I read it wrong?
cf4

if you have an ADSL, FTTN or FTTB connection the DSL port must be connected to a phone line. If not connected to phone line it switches to backup mode. (Purple online light)
Without checking your house wiring I cannot say what the other ports are for. They might have been extra phone sockets that have been disconnect when the premises was transferred to NBN or they might be for a data connection. (Distribute the LAN ports of the modem to other rooms in the house)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more