GZed
Level 2: Rookie

How to get an NBN NCD when using Telstra Business NBN FTTC

How can we get an NBN NCD box for our Telstra Business NBN FTTC connection?

At the moment the tech has setup a Telstra Gateway Pro V7610 straight into the phone socket in the rack.  The V7610 can't be bridged properly so we want to junk it and run a standard NBN NCD box to make connection instead, then feed that into our existing SonicWALL TZ350 firewall which is needed to make a VPN connection to head-office in the US.   The SonicWall is not negotiable.

We will not be running any VoIP lines on this NBN connection as there is a separate dedicated NBN connection for VoIP.

So how do we get our hands on an NBN NCD box (like what ever other ISP hand out) and will it work?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to get an NBN NCD when using Telstra Business NBN FTTC

The RSPs don't hand out the NBN NCD Boxes. NBN Co should have brought that to you and connected it when your service was installed. In fact, it shouldn't be able to work without it as the NCD provides the power for the FTTC connection in the street.

It sounds like you're actually on an FTTN connection if it is plugged direct into a phone socket and it's working.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

If the V7610 was connected directly to phone sockets it looks like you have an FTTN connection. If you do have a FTTN connection you will need to purchase a VDSL modem that is compatible with the NBN (Most VDSL modems sold in Australia are compatible with the NBN) and connect the SonicWall TZ350 to the VDSL modem.

Adorecomp
Level 1: Cadet

Yep, you're right.  I have just confirmed it is FttN not FttC.  I'll grab a basic VDSL modem and bridge it.  That's for replying.

Adorecomp
Level 1: Cadet

(Gzed here, replying from my new account)

Yep, you're right.  I have just confirmed it is FttN not FttC.  I'll grab a basic VDSL modem and bridge it.  That's for replying.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more