Rob172
Level 1: Cadet

How to power down Telstra Smart Modem and NBN box for a few days

Answered

Hi all

We'll be away for a few days and thought it might be a good idea to power down our Telstra Smart Modem and NBN box for that period.

We're on the NBN HFC plan.

Can someone advise the correct sequence to power both of them down, and the correct sequence to power then back in a few days after?

Or should we never power down unless instructed by either Telstra and/or NBN.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: How to power down Telstra Smart Modem and NBN box for a few days

It is safe to turn off both the NBN box and Telstra modem and doesn't really matter which order you do this. I would turn off the Telstra modem off first and then turn off the NBN modem. This stops any chance of the Telstra modem switching to 4G backup. If modem switches to 4G backup you will get annoying text messages warning about modem being on 4G backup, as even though modem is off it does not send a signal to Telstra that it is not on 4G backup until is has been turned back on and connected to NBN.  When turning back on first turn the NBN box and then the Telstra modem

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
cf4
Accepted Solution

Re: How to power down Telstra Smart Modem and NBN box for a few days

It is safe to turn off both the NBN box and Telstra modem and doesn't really matter which order you do this. I would turn off the Telstra modem off first and then turn off the NBN modem. This stops any chance of the Telstra modem switching to 4G backup. If modem switches to 4G backup you will get annoying text messages warning about modem being on 4G backup, as even though modem is off it does not send a signal to Telstra that it is not on 4G backup until is has been turned back on and connected to NBN.  When turning back on first turn the NBN box and then the Telstra modem

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more