JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

How to (re-)connect Wifi LED globes to the new Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

I have 2 types of WiFi LED globes in my home:

* Phillips Hue controlled via Phillips Hue Hub.

* Generic Chinese brand controlled via the MagicHome app.

* Generic Chinese brand light strips controlled via the MagicHome app.

They are all connected to Alexa and are really good in terms of what they do so I have no issues with using them.

However, the new Smart Modem has a feature called Band Steering, which I believe will monitor the WiFi signal to your devices and automatically switch the device to either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi SSID. This is a problem with the generic Chinese brand LED globes- these globes only work on 2.4Ghz.

So, when you replace your old router with the new Smart Moden Gen2, all your LED globes will go offline- as they should as the new router is emitting a new SSID, even if you name it the same.

However, when you follow the process of resetting the globes to factory default (power-on/off 3 times) and then try to enable them to be reconnect to the MagicHome app, the globes connect to the 5Ghz SSID- and they don't work on this frequency!

Now, no matter what you do, they will never connect to the app. The Phillips Hue globes seem to overcome this as the Phillips Hue hub seems to be OK with the 5Ghz SSID.

So, in order to get the generic globes to connect back to the MagicHome app, you need to force them to connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Disable the 5Ghz radio in the router.

2. Turn off Band Steering so that you can assign 2 different names each to the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz SSID bands.

Option 2 is a welcome feature and I'd prefer to not disable it, so I went for option #1. Once all the generic globes were re-connected back to the router via the 2.4Ghz SSID, responding in the MagicHome app and working with Alexa, I found that re-enabling the 5Ghz radio still allowed the globes to stay connected to the WiFi.

I hope this helps anyone who has a similar setup!

|
|
+-- JDMils
|

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more