Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How to set up Telstra Smart Modem?

Answered

So, I just moved house a few weeks ago, and while I was setting up the internet, I thought it would be good to switch to a different internet provider(at my last house I had TPG NBN), so I went with Telstra. I got the $90 unlimited data NBN plan, had the Telstra Smart Modem delivered, went to set it up, looked at the instructions, then realised I was missing the NBN Connection box. I went to Telstra, and they said to look for a cable maybe running from a box outside your house to connect to your modem. I looked, and there is none. BTW I'm pretty sure the NBN technology I have is HFC which I think needs a connection box, correct me if I'm wrong. I went back to Telstra, and they said to try plugging in the modem to the ADSL ports in the house, so I tried that, but still no luck. Oh, and all this time I've been running internet on the mobile network backup on the smart modem. I'm thinking the problem is either: the previous owners have taken the nbn connection box with them, or, NBN hasn't even been installed at this house. I am pretty tech-savvy so I know a bit about this stuff, but I'm stumped about what is going on here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: How to set up Telstra Smart Modem?

These two coax connectors are from a previous Telstra HFC (Bigpond Cable/Foxtel) and an Optus HFC Cable services. The Telstra connector looks like it has not been used for a long time, likely an Optus customer as the screw connector looks fresh. The Optus connector and cable won't be used by NBN. The Telstra cable will be used by the NBN and its connector will be replaced by the NBN when the technician brings the Arris Modem to site. The technician will also replace an isolation device and coax connectors in the small grey outside utilty box before testing for signal strength and making any adjustments if necessary.

You need the Arris modem for interconnection, so Telstra has to process the order to NBN for this to be done. You should receive an email confirmation [ Code starting with NA+8Digits] that your order has been lodged with Telstra; it will be followed by another email with your order number when it has been processed [ code starting with a 1- +13 Digits]. It may take two weeks from order placement for the appointment to be made for you - you will receive another email confirming appointment time. If you have a confirmed order number, it may be possible to track its progress - the link will be in the order email confirmation advice.   

Your modem's 4GLTE is limited to 6Mbps/1Mbps on a 10GB download per month cap; slows down to 256bps afterwards. If Telstra has not arranged NBN to install within the month, you will need to contact them so that the cap can be removed for the next month.  Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi - have a look outside your home to see if you have a grey utility box approx 120mm x210mm size with an incoming black coax cable coming into it from the earth or overhead cable from street pole and then another one leaving it going to inside your home. If NBN HFC was pre-installed in your home, there should be a coax wall plate with an NBN sicker on it somewhere inside the home where the previous owner's modem was located and the small black  NBN HFC Arris Modem is connected to that point. 

If there is no sign of any coax cable and you are certain your home is classified as HFC enabled, you will need to contact Telstra so that they can arrange NBN to come to site for installation. If all cabling in place but no Arris modem, Telstra will need to arrange NBN to come to site to connect a new Arris modem and test it. 

Highlighted

Hey, thanks for the reply, there is a grey Telstra box on the outside of my house, there is also another bigger grey box which i have no idea what it's for, but there is no coax wall plate or anything NBN related inside the house, and there is no NBN box that I know of outside the house. There are two screw-type Telstra plugs in the house but since I don't have a connection box, I can't connect it to the modem. I looked on the NBN website, put in my address, and it said that my house is HFC NBN technology. Here are the photos:

https://imgur.com/a/3g54iLd

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

These two coax connectors are from a previous Telstra HFC (Bigpond Cable/Foxtel) and an Optus HFC Cable services. The Telstra connector looks like it has not been used for a long time, likely an Optus customer as the screw connector looks fresh. The Optus connector and cable won't be used by NBN. The Telstra cable will be used by the NBN and its connector will be replaced by the NBN when the technician brings the Arris Modem to site. The technician will also replace an isolation device and coax connectors in the small grey outside utilty box before testing for signal strength and making any adjustments if necessary.

You need the Arris modem for interconnection, so Telstra has to process the order to NBN for this to be done. You should receive an email confirmation [ Code starting with NA+8Digits] that your order has been lodged with Telstra; it will be followed by another email with your order number when it has been processed [ code starting with a 1- +13 Digits]. It may take two weeks from order placement for the appointment to be made for you - you will receive another email confirming appointment time. If you have a confirmed order number, it may be possible to track its progress - the link will be in the order email confirmation advice.   

Your modem's 4GLTE is limited to 6Mbps/1Mbps on a 10GB download per month cap; slows down to 256bps afterwards. If Telstra has not arranged NBN to install within the month, you will need to contact them so that the cap can be removed for the next month.  Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

OK, so I should ask Telstra to get an NBN technician out to connect a new Arris modem?

Highlighted

Yes, Telstra arranges the appointment for the NBN technician to come to your site, send you an initial appointment email and will also send you another email reminder confirming the date near to the day of appointment to make sure someone will be home at the time. Were you given the modem at a Telstra Shop after applying there or was it sent to out to you by courier after you applied on line. Either way, do you have an order number that you can use on the 'Track your order now' link in any email you have received from Telstra since? If not, then you would need to contact Telstra to ask for a status update on your application.

Highlighted

The modem was delivered to my house and yes, I do have an order number.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more