Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues

I have an iMac and since the middle of next year it disconnects from my Telstra wifi and will not reconnect. The iMac gives varying and different reasons each time: Wifi too crowded; manual IP address etc. Telstra sent a new modem and the problem persists. Yet, when I took it took work for about a week to test it, while it dropped off from time to time, it reconnected without any difficulty. It works fine on the Ethernet.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues

Hi NeddieMarsh,

Thanks for contacting us. It does sound like it maybe an issue with your iMac's wireless adaptor. How old is the device?

Do you have any issues with any other device on the network?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues

Hi NeddieMarsh,

Can you confirm the model of your modem? If it is one of our Telstra Smart Modems, you may find that disabling the Band-steering function will help as some older devices don't work well with it. 

If you do have a Telstra Smart Modem, you can disable this by accessing the modem page and going to the Wi-Fi menu at the top. Remove the tick next to 'Enable Band-steering' and then save the changes.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more