Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How use 2nd Smart Modem Gen 2 as wifi booster

Answered

I have two Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2's (also have two Gateway Max's that I no longer use) and cable internet. I am attempting to use the 2nd Gen 2 (2SMG2) as a wifi booster. I went into the settings of the 2SMG2, changed the SSID and password to match the primary Gen 2, then went into advanced, Local Network and engaged Bridged mode. I then ran a Cat6 cable from a LAN in the primary Gen2 to the WAN in the 2SMG2. I get a green light on the 2SMG2. However, it seems to confuse my devices. If my SSID is "Sleeper", my laptop shows me connected to "Sleeper 2", and the internet does not seem to work, or if it does, my remote connection (via Direct Access) to the office drops out. My iPhone took it upon itself to open up the Modem log in page, and would not work until I eventually told it to "use without internet", then it seems to connect to the internet. My SmartTV does not connect. Have I missed a step? This should work right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How use 2nd Smart Modem Gen 2 as wifi booster

There are two versions of the Gen 2 Smart modem. If you have the Arcadyan version suggest you set up as per section 33 of the document linked in this post. If you have the Technicolor version suggest you set up as per section 34 of document linked in this post.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

There are two versions of the Gen 2 Smart modem. If you have the Arcadyan version suggest you set up as per section 33 of the document linked in this post. If you have the Technicolor version suggest you set up as per section 34 of document linked in this post.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you so much CF4. That was an amazingly quick response you gave and now it works a treat. Cheers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more