Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I cant connect my printer to my router / WiFi

When I try to connect my HP Officejet 6500A printer via the wizard, the printer can find my Wi-Fi network, but when I try to use WPS I get an error "An error occurred while setting up the network through [WPS]".  If I then enter the passphrase manually I get an error saying my passphrase is incorrect (I know it is not).

I have "reset network settings" on the printer (twice) from the menu.  I have (hard) rebooted the router (Arcadyan LH1000), the printer and my PC.  I have updated printer drivers and removed and reinstalled the printer (using a USB connection - which works).  I can connect with an ethernet cable to the router and that works.  My router shows the printer as a "device" both as an ethernet connection (due to troubleshooting) and in Wi-Fi, though in Wi-Fi devices there are no details (Device name, MAC address etc). The printer also appears in "connected devices" - this time with a Device Name, MAC address and on the 2.4 GHz band, but without an IP address (v4 or v6).

Have just moved house and changed my router and carrier (but retailer is still the same and SSID and Passphrase haven't changed). 

I'm not sure if the problem is the printer of the router (the router has no problems connecting to other devices, but the fact that the printer is listed in the connected devices but without an IP address is a bit of a worry.  I can't find a way to remove that "memory" from the router.  My router also has  5 Ghz band with the same SSID and Passphase, and has "Band steering" which directs new devices to the 2.4 Ghz or 5 GHz band depending on their capabilities (turning this off might cause other problems).

I would like to make my printer look like a new/different printer (give it a new identity and no memories like Bourne!) so that I can just connect it as a new device without any conflict.

Appreciate any help.  I've been working on this for quite a few hours ...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: I cant connect my printer to my router / WiFi

The problem is probably due to a new enhanced WiFi security feature added to the modem in a recent firmware update called protected management frames. Not all devices support  PMF. To turn of PMF log into modem go to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band settings, turn off Wi-Fi PMF and save settings.

Highlighted

Thank you very much for taking the time to read the description of my issue and respond.

I hadn't heard of PMF.  I tried disabling it as you suggested (after restoring the network defaults) and connecting via WPS.  No success.  Same error message.  Tried entering passphase manually but also failed with same message.

Contemplating two options:

1.  Resetting router (gateway, actually) to factory defaults and reconnecting all devices from scratch, or

2.  Connecting my printer via USB cable until I have used up my (new) inks and then tossing it and getting a new printer!

Thanks again though for your help.  I very much appreciate it!  Wish you good Karma!  

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Cyberpunk wrote:

Thank you very much for taking the time to read the description of my issue and respond.

I hadn't heard of PMF.  I tried disabling it as you suggested (after restoring the network defaults) and connecting via WPS.  No success.  Same error message.  Tried entering passphase manually but also failed with same message.

Contemplating two options:

1.  Resetting router (gateway, actually) to factory defaults and reconnecting all devices from scratch, or

2.  Connecting my printer via USB cable until I have used up my (new) inks and then tossing it and getting a new printer!

Thanks again though for your help.  I very much appreciate it!  Wish you good Karma!  

Hi @Cyberpunk 

These are the type of posts I love seeing, giving a lot of thought to possible solutions :-)

Yes, resetting the modem might help, but I would also try turning off band steering first and create the separate SSID's for both 2 and 5 GHz. Sometimes having it on confuses older devices and it can't properly connect to the 2GHz band (Even though it shows as a connected device). It's something wrong with the firmware of the modem.

I can't recall if you can forget a device in the list? I would do that first with the printer off, then disable band steering and re-try the printer.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - it appears that the modem can see the printer as a wireless device but it hasn't assigned it an IP address. Your Arcadyan Modem uses 192.168.0.1 as its gateway address. When you had the printer connected wirelessly to your previous modem, did it have the same IP address and range as the Arcadyan or was it different? In the printer display, are you able to see or print Settings/Network Summary or similar menu which should display the current Default Gateway, DHCP/BOOTP Server and the IPv4 IP address assigned to the printer? What is shown there?

Highlighted

@Cyberpunk 

One other thing I would try is changing the 2.4 GHz WiFi Security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA + WPA2 PSK. 

Highlighted

Hi @cf4 

Thanks again for your suggestion ... tried switching to WPA +WPA2 PSK (after again resetting network defaults) but didn't work ... no change.

Still really appreciate your consideration ...  : )

Highlighted

Hi @Ozmoz ,

Thanks for your help and suggestion.  I tried switching off band steering and trying to connect ... no change - didn't connect and gave the same "An error occurred ..." message.

I didn't try differentiating/renaming the two Wi-Fi bands, as that would involve as fair amount of reconnecting various devices and family members ...

If I get that desperate I may just as well reset the router to factory defaults and reconnect all of the devices ... although I'm leaning towards tossing the printer and buying a new one ...  

Thanks again for time!

Highlighted

Hi @Mkrtich 

Thanks for your time and response to my question.

I definitely appears that the router can see the printer and that the printer does not have an IP address ... is that strange?  The previous modem did have the same gateway address - in fact is was also an identical (as for as I can tell) modem.  I'm not sure what the IP address range was, but the current router has a DCHP start address at 192.168.0.2 and an end address at 192.168.0.254 (is that the "IP address range"?).  Maybe it would make sense that the router would not have an IP address for the printer if the printers internal IP address was outside the new router's IP address range.

The printer's wireless summary shows:

IP Address:  No link

Hostname: HP7E38B3

MAC:  101f7482f617

SSID:  HPE710n.blah

It sees a bunch of routers, but "can't find [my] access point".  My router is in the list ... the printer sees the router as:

Privacy:  RSN

Auth:  WPA-PSK

Encrypt:  AES/TKIP

Signal:  -50

WPS:  Yes

So it can see the router, just not get connected ...

Am contemplating tossing printer ... unless any new ideas ...

Highlighted

Could you clarify the statement 

"It sees a bunch of routers, but "can't find [my] access point"

Do you mean it can't see the name of the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi. If it can't see the name check that the modem is set to broadcast the SSID.

Another thing you could try is changing the 2.4 GHz WiFi channel from auto to one between 2 and 11. Some devices have problems connecting to channel 1 or channels above 11.

Highlighted

Hi - my HP Printer is connected with a LAN cable to a secondary modem which is then connected with another LAN cable to the primary modem and any wired or wireless device on my home network can print to it. After the IP address was assigned to the printer, I set it up as a Static IP address with its MAC address.

I have not enabled the 'Wireless Direct Setup' in the Printer - it shows as 'Disabled' in the Network Summary printout. This ad-hoc mode allows the printer to act as an Wireless Print Server and broadcasts its own SSID, like your HPE710.blah,  to client devices that are nearby, typically for Apple AirPrint or HP ePrint enabled mobile phones, so that they can print directly from the wireless device to the printer without going through the modem. In this mode, I don't think the printer needs a IP address from the modem as it has established its own Wi-Fi Network.

Is your Wireless Direct Setup enabled or is it just showing its credentials in the above list? If it is enabled, it may be mutually exclusive, preventing the modem's DHCP Server from assigning an IP address to the printer - not sure? 

Highlighted

"I didn't try differentiating/renaming the two Wi-Fi bands, as that would involve as fair amount of reconnecting various devices and family members"

I don't understand this, because if you turned off band steering in the router, then the 5G band name would have changed anyway? Are you SAVING the settings in the router after you change them?

"SSID:  HPE710n.blah"  unless you have changed the SSIDs in the router (which I doubt because HPE710 is the HP model number), then this SSID is being broadcast by the printer - as if you have set it up for direct wireless printing. Have you done a full factory reset on the printer?

You mention maybe hooking up to your PC with a USB cable, if it is close enough you could try connecting the printer by ethernet cable to your router then check if the printer gets an IP that way. See if you can then find the printer from your router and/or PC.

"It sees a bunch of routers, but "can't find [my] access point".  My router is in the list ... the printer sees the router as"  where exactly are you seeing this?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thanks, fixed my HP 4620. I wish Telstra would stop resetting my modem back to enable PMF though. Annoying.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more