amos8426
Level 2: Rookie

Internet Lag when Gaming

Answered

Hi,

I recently moved and am now on the NBN with a Telstra Arcadyan Gen2 Smart Modem. The connection is fine and when tested it has excellent upload and download speeds with little ping (so streaming videos etc has no issues). My issue is when I start playing a game online, the game lags or has trouble connecting to for longer than a few seconds before dropping the connection.

I have strong wifi signal as I am right next to the modem and have tested my PC by using my personal hotspot, so that only leaves the modem as the problem.

Does anyone have any advice or encountered a similar problem?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
amos8426
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet Lag when Gaming

Thanks all, the solution was to split into two band and connect individually. Both worked fine so it must have been something to do with the modem and using both at the same time.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

On your Smart Modem have you enabled Game Optimiser at all? Does it occur with all games or just some? Do you use a VPN to connect?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
amos8426

Hi,

Game Optimiser is not available with my package, it occurs with all games and I do not use a VPN.

SteveW_52

I thought Game Optimiser was part of the firmware for the modem itself? I haven't tried it myself so I was curious if it might be part of the problem?

Do you connect your devices to the Smart Modem by Wi-Fi or cable?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
amos8426

No, it's an additional feature to certain services for an extra $10 but not on mine, so not a problem. I connect my computer and phone via Wi Fi to the modem.

SteveW_52

Which Smart Modem do you have? And what firmware is ti at?

I have a SM2 - LH1000 model Arcadyan and Game Optimiser is in the GUI..  I wasn't aware there was an extra cost to actually using it..  luckily I don't.

There have been some issues noticed with some Smart Modems have problems with Wi-Fi connectivity..  so to check that possibility:

- run speedtest from devices over wi-fi to get some baselines

- the modem might have band steering enable for Wi-Fi - try disabling that and with the two seperate bands now available, connect over Wi-Fi again - connect via both 2.4 and 5 GHz in turn and see if one works better than the other

- the modem might have Protected Management Frames enabled - you can try disabling that on both Wi-Fi channels and check for improvement

- try connecting just one device by wi-fi and see if the lag is still there

- with the PC, try a cable connection to the modem and see if that works better

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@SteveW_52 fyi, Game Optimiser isn't compatible with NBN Basic, NBN Ultrafast or Fixed Wireless services. It's an addon that costs $10 per month, and there is an interface for it in the Smart Modem 2 firmwares (hence why you see it).

@amos8426 can you run pingplotter to the gaming server and post the results here? It's a bit hard to try and determine what the problem is if we can't see what we're dealing with.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Thanks @Jupiter  I researched that yesterday - I don't use it so wasn't aware of it all.

Stevo 52
amos8426
Accepted Solution

Thanks all, the solution was to split into two band and connect individually. Both worked fine so it must have been something to do with the modem and using both at the same time.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more