JohnsQnA
Level 2: Rookie

iPad won’t connect to NBN modem over WiFi.

I can not connect my iPad to my Telstra Smart Modem. I can connect my iPhone and another iPad, all using the same password. My other lPad keeps asking me to enter the password. Why can’t  I connect my second iPad? Tried all the usual tricks, switch modem off and on, rebooted my iPad, still no connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: iPad won’t connect to NBN modem over WiFi.

Try turning of band steering in the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi band settings. This will result in -%G being added to the 5GHz band WiFi SSID.

JohnsQnA

Nope, tried that, didn’t work. I noticed that I could connect all devices if they were close to the router but when I went upstairs, they could not login. So I moved the router and I managed to connect upstairs. Seems like this Telstra Smart Modem isn’t so smart after all. I had no trouble with my previous TP-Link router, itwas fantastic. I could connect from every part of my house and even out the back. 

Not impressed!

cf4

You could set up your TP link router as a wireless access point or if you don't need the 4 G backup use it as your main router.

JohnsQnA

I didn’t think the TP-Link modem would work with the NBN. How can one find out?

cf4

It depends what type of connection you have. If the modem supports VDSL it should work on all NBN connections. If it doesn't support VDSL it will not work on FTTN/B connections. You will still need to use Telstra modem connected to a LAN port if you want a phone service.

JohnsQnA

Thanks CF4, I will check it out.

I don’t understand how Telstra can put out such a poor product. I may switch to another provider if I can’t get a simple solution.

cf4

If you can't connect upstairs it might be because the 2.4GHz WiFi band isn't working. There have been a few reports of Gen 2 modems with faulty 2.4 GHz WiFi.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more