lillypilly9
Level 1: Cadet

is the Smart Modem Gen 2 L, Model LH 11000 incompatible with Macbook Pro?

Answered

Macbook Pro (2109) MacOS 10.15.7  not connecting to Smart Modem Gen 2 L, Model LH11000

During 6 weeks of internet dropouts up to 10 times an hour for 1-2 minutes each time, I've installed two brand new Telstra Smart Modems. But NEITHER modem will connect to my MacBook pro.

--My iPhone & Ipad now connect to the modem.

--My laptop does not:  The Telstra Home Dashboard says I'm connected to the modem and my MacBook shows up as a connected device. But, it cannot load any page, it can't download an email etc. Various error messages include: this site can't be reached... refused to connect... 

I have not customised the Modem in any way.

Google searching indicates an incompatibility between MAC OS and Telstra Smart Modems, but the Telstra technicians do not acknowledge that. 

Please help me or direct me to where I can find information to fix this incompatibility. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: is the Smart Modem Gen 2 L, Model LH 11000 incompatible with Macbook Pro?

Looks likes like the 2019 Laptop has retained the DNS Server address of your previous modem which had a different IP address 10.0.0.138 - that is why you have no connection. The Macbook should have automatically been assigned an IP address from the LH:1000 such as 192.168.0.X and shown 192,168.0.1 as the entry for it's Gateway and DNS Server.

The DNS Server entry should now be the address of the Arcadyan modem which is 192.168.0.1 and can be edited in the Mac's Network Setting screens. The new DNS address will then be used by all devices that are connected to the modem unless you wish to have some individual devices connect to different specific DNS servers - some people like to use Google DNS Severs - the OS can accommodate that as well on any specific device. Try changing the DNS Server entries to 192.168.0.1  on both Macs to see if you get connection to the Internet and let us know..

Our mini Mac is on Big Sur 14.4.3 - all good. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Mkrtich

Hi - is your Macbook a 2009 or a 2019 model - Catalina 10.15.7 is circa 2012, current macOS is 14.4.3. Is it only the MacBook that gets interrupted and kicked off or all devices - we could look at possible DNS entries if all devices impacted. Are there any other LAN cable connected devices connected to the modem?  Can you open Safari and Clear History and Data Files (Cache) then disconnect power wait 60 seconds and then restart the MacBook to see if any difference.

lillypilly9
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have a Macbook Pro 2019 Mac with OS Catalina V 10.15.7

No LAN cable connected devices. 

Yes, all devices can connect except the 2019 Macbook Pro and a 2015 MacBook Pro OS Mojave

(I will upgrade to Big Sur if that will improve matters. )

I followed your advice deleted all history & data caches on both laptops; turned off laptops and modem; reconnected: still no connection. 

My DNS info from the modem

Primary DNS 61.9.194.49

Secondary DNS 61.9.195.193

Laptop 2019 DNS Servers: 10.0.0.138

I can send screen shots if needed.

Thanks again, 

cheers, 

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Looks likes like the 2019 Laptop has retained the DNS Server address of your previous modem which had a different IP address 10.0.0.138 - that is why you have no connection. The Macbook should have automatically been assigned an IP address from the LH:1000 such as 192.168.0.X and shown 192,168.0.1 as the entry for it's Gateway and DNS Server.

The DNS Server entry should now be the address of the Arcadyan modem which is 192.168.0.1 and can be edited in the Mac's Network Setting screens. The new DNS address will then be used by all devices that are connected to the modem unless you wish to have some individual devices connect to different specific DNS servers - some people like to use Google DNS Severs - the OS can accommodate that as well on any specific device. Try changing the DNS Server entries to 192.168.0.1  on both Macs to see if you get connection to the Internet and let us know..

Our mini Mac is on Big Sur 14.4.3 - all good. 

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more