Fragglerocker
Level 1: Cadet

Issues with coverage Telstra Smart Antenna RS2

Hi all, 

Hoping you can help me out. We live rural and have been using the smart antenna for 6 years with only the occasional problem. We have a high gain antenna on the roof. At the beginning of this year we started experiencing issues making and receiving calls, now we can rarely get anything. The signal strength on the cel fi hovers around 6 or 7. The mobile phones show full 'bars', but strangely don't seem to have the little 3G/4G symbol next to them that you usually see. Phones range in age and brand, there are six mobiles in the house. 

Thoughts?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Issues with coverage Telstra Smart Antenna RS2

I have the same unit and the only Telstra approved and branded version 4GX is P34. The RS2 according to my information is only 3G.   As Telstra upgraded their towers about  5 years ago to 4GX, the 3G WCDMA antennas were relegated to lesser tower positions,   With 5G, Telstra have already reduced the 3G frequency band and as 5G antennas now get the prime previously 4G tower positions, 3G antennas are again usually relegated to more less positions on the towers.

If you had the 4GX model, there are only 5 signal bars on both the network and re-transmission units....not 6 or 7 as you describe.

So, as you appear you have 3G only units, you will need to upgrade to the current Telstra Go stationary repeater, a single unit, which I also have had for 3 years, and can recommend.

I believe that the relegation of Telstra's 3G WCDMA network is the cause of your difficulties.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Fragglerocker

Hi, thanks for the reply. It is telstra branded and we bought it from them on a plan. I think you might be right re the retirement of 3G however and i checked out the GO repeater and it might do the job. Re the current device, you are right in that the cell until has 5 bars, but the 6/7 I was referring to is the number display on the window unit.

Many thanks.

Fragglerocker

It's this one? Note this is a photo from the interweb, not our actual one (because the red light indicates a different issue). Hard to find the specs to know if it is only 3g though.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

I found some basic info and 99.9% sure its 3G only. My main unit only has 5 bars and mine is quite different to your photograph. Even though  3G closure is some time off...Telstra are already re-farming part of the 3G frequency band. Best wishes.

P.P.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more