DB2021
Level 2: Rookie

Issues with DLNA Media Server, Smart Plugs

I've been having a problem for a while now and Telstra don't seem to be able to help. Intermittently, I lose access to my media servers and smart plugs along with my Telstra TV internet access. The following details (forgive me for the length of this but I've tried to provide a lot of detail to Telstra) are what I've told Telstra on a number of occasions but this seems to be ignored. 

When the problem occurs, the following issues are experienced:

• Media Servers not visible. No media servers show on the network at all including the Telstra modem DLNA server. I have one TV that accesses the media servers over WiFi and another that accesses them via ethernet. My media servers are all running on devices (Computer, DVR, Network Hard Drive) that are connected via ethernet directly to the Telstra modem. This means I can’t watch any digital movies or recorded TV shows during the issue.
  • Telstra TV loses its internet connection which is over WiFi. This means I can’t watch catchup TV or streaming services such as Telstra Box Office, Netflix, etc during the issue.
  • All my WiFi enabled Smart Plugs stop working. I can use the Google Home Minis and Hub but they all say that they are unable to access the Smart Plugs. This means my lights don’t operate during the issue.

I have tried restarting the individual devices (TV’s, Smart Plugs, Telstra TV) but this makes no difference. I have also tried restarting the Media servers but again this makes no difference.

I have tried restarting the Telstra WiFi Booster but again this makes no difference.

If I reboot the Telstra modem, then everything starts working. Initially, I saw this problem occur every few weeks however since last week it has been occurring once a day. I notice the issue in the evening when trying to watch shows or turning on room lighting.

The setup of all the devices seems to be fine as it has been working for many months and there have not been any recent changes other than the Telstra WiFi Booster installed in Dec 2020. The devices all perform normally until the problem arises and then the only solution is to reboot the Telstra modem. Rebooting the Telstra modem on a daily basis is not something that I would expect that I should be doing and it’s also an inconvenience when I have 2 high school students relying on the internet for their studies and my wife sometimes works from home.

To me, the problem seems to be the Telstra modem as rebooting it solves the problem temporarily until the next time. Telstra technicians have run tests during the time that I have experienced the problem but no solution has been offered. I would think that replacing the Telstra modem should be considered.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Issues with DLNA Media Server, Smart Plugs

What model is the Telstra modem (DJA0230, DJA0231 or LH1000)?

DB2021

Arcadyan LH1000, Firmware 0.13.01r

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - Telstra would have discounted the usual suspects by now - Band Steering and Protected Management Frames, but it reads like a Firewall malfunction or a perhaps a device on your network upsetting the network connections. Has this started to occur since the last firmware upgrade - I have read posts where some Arcadyan modems firewall having issues between WiFi and Ethernet devices, but I thought some of those may have been addressed with latter firmware. What is the modem model and your firmware level? 

The Event Log files may give you some hints as to the cause - look for entries that occur before the disconnection time and note any MAC addresses that are listed as Stations - STA (WiFi Devices). Time Stamps such as 01.01.2018 would indicate when the modem is going through a Restart.  If you see entries that relate to a disconnection of an STA - does it have any other comment associated with that event. To test if a possible cause remove it from your network to see if stability returns.

Also look for any Wi-Fi Doctor entries (it caused some havoc in early days of deployment but I think they were resolved)  - I get these entries daily on my Arcadyan - it monitors both Wi-Fi Bands and adjusts for optimum performance.  I have seen WiFi Doctor entries which swap current channels in use to different channels for both bands - I don't have many devices. 

Not sure why Telstra would have to contemplate further investigation - if you are losing the home network daily, a replacement modem would be a good place to start. It's getting to the stage where having a standby Gen 2 modem at home for trouble shooting is a good idea. 

cf4

Have you checked the modem's log to see if there are any events that could provide a clue as to what is causing the problem?

Firmware 0.13.01r has only recently been rolled out and the increase in frequency might coincide with when your modem was updated. To find out when modem was updated. Save the log file, open in notepad and do a search for "0.13.01r". You should see a event similar to one below.

30.01.2021 01:19:33 TR069: Firmware LH1000_0.13.01r_build01_Netduma-621e50_R0A_debug.w.ArcSigned download successfully.

DB2021

My log only has events back as far as 13 Mar 21 and it has had this firmware for at least that long, can't find an entry that shows when it was installed. There are a number of log entries like this: 

22.03.2021 03:15:25 WiFi_Booster-[Prohibit Time] MAC=E4:F0:42:54:4D:91 Added into unfriendly station list [RE-JOIN].  duration time:3600 secs.) failed

These seem to relate to the devices that I'm having trouble with but hard to believe that these are all faulty devices.

Mkrtich

Your modem should store more than a fortnight of log events - the screen shown is live updated in real time so it does not display all past events. If you Export a copy of the internal complete log entries to a text file and then open that file within a spreadsheet, it makes for easier viewing and highlighting rows in different colours -you should see more events there. Hopefully you will be able to trace when the problem began and if it was associated with the last firmware update - you have the current version. 

Are all your devices listed in the log file as 'unfriendly' or is it just a few? We have seen some devices cause modems to reset and the only way to ascertain this is to remove them from the modem connect them back one at a time. Your case could be related to the Firewall corruption or malfunction associated with the bridge between the WiFi network and the Ethernet LAN which could only be fixed by a replacement modem. 

DB2021

I did export the file and it does only have 10 days of events.  There's about 450 'unfriendly ' events and it seems to be full of connect/disconnect events from the wifi booster. I think this is related to the issue, possibly a faulty wifi booster or the modem itself. I have raised this with the Telstra support staff but they don't seem to know what to do and are pushing Telstra Platinum support. 

cf4

Suggest you try turning of Protected Management Frames. That has been known to cause disconnection problems with WiFi devices. See this post for more information.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/wifi-issues-due-to-protected-management-frames/...

Mkrtich

Interesting findings. You may have a very large file with many thousands of entries causing early rewrites or the modem could release older entries if it is Factory Reset. My log starts on 12.12.2020 .

Are the unfriendly events showing different MACs  on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz network or all events involve the same device on one network - a MAC Vendor lookup identifies the quoted MAC above as a Google device - does it have a Router function activated or it own WiFi Network feeding your problem devices? If it is turned OFF for testing the stability of your home network, do things settle down?

The Log shows the Modem as a 'Booster' for reasons unknown and can be identified by its MAC address if shown. The Gen 2 modem is the Controller for the EasyMesh WiFi Network created when a remote Booster Gen 2 with its EasyMesh Agent is active. I don't have a Booster Gen 2 , so not sure how it appears in the Log file. You may see a graphic map in the Home Screen folio for Boosters which shows which devices are connected to both modem and then the Booster.

In my log entries, the LH:1000 shows the first listed MAC as (mymodem) then the device's MAC for both 5G and 2.4G Wifi bands. 

3.03.2021 05:42:14 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9Smiley Very HappyA:44:AB)Smiley FrustratedTA(16:A5:22:26:50:49) disconnected.

22.03.2021 17:13:22 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[2.4G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9Smiley Very HappyA:44:AC)Smiley FrustratedTA(34:A3:95:71:20:98) connected.

DB2021

Here's an update on where I am with this issue.  I decided that I would try and simplify the wifi network and then make a few changes to see if they had any effect. First I turned off the wifi booster, everything worked just fine without any issues (except devices out of range stopped working) for a few days, no dropouts. Next I turned the wifi booster back on and turned off band steering with all devices connected to 2.4ghz.  Everything has been working fine for the past few days without any issues or dropouts. I'm now starting to connect a few devices to the 5ghz and plan to monitor for a few days before any further changes.  It appears that band steering along with the wifi booster was the likely issue. The only thing that I can't work out is why it had been working for months and then all of a sudden I was rebooting the modem on a daily basis. Perhaps a firmware update installing recently triggered this but unfortunately the log file doesn't have data past the 13 Mar 21. I know people say there must be more data than that but there isn't even when I've saved the file and used excel to manage the data. It looks like I have been able to stabilise the wifi network so probably won't spend a lot more time trying to work out what the root cause was. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, very much appreciated. I was very disappointed with the lack of assistance that I got from Telstra Support on this issue, they just wasted many hours of my time and kept pushing for me to pay for platinum support.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more