MarkW84
Level 2: Rookie

Issues with WIFI and accessing Modem Settings after altering MAC filtering

Answered

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with what seems to be a stupid mistake I made tonight.

Back story:

My printer suddenly was not connected via WIFI to my laptop. When I went in to wireless settings and entered the WIFI password it kept saying there was an error with the password (I knew this was wrong so ran the error report). It came back and said that MAC address filtering may be enabled on your router which may have been preventing the connection (strange as it has worked fine for about 5 years). The suggestion was to go into the modem settings and add the MAC address for the printer.

So at this point WIFI on laptop is working fine and I log in to modem settings and go in to the WIFI section and under the 2.5Hz channel I clicked I think it says 'Disabled" and changed it to 'WhiteList' and added the printer MAC address (d4:85:64:31:7d:1c) and hit save. As soon as I did this my WIFI connection was gone and I can not access my Modem Settings anymore to undo this change. I assume my error was I needed to add something for my laptop under the MAC addresses too and the fact I didn't means my modem doesn't recognise the laptop anymore?

I am now connected to the modem by ethernet cable and have tried the same IP address (http://192.168.0.1/) and it now won't open as it says 'This site can't be reached-192.168.0.1 refused to connect). I have gone into my computer settings and it says my default gateway is now 144.131.47.254. When I try to access that it says 'website (144.131.47.254) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts'. I have followed suggested fixes for that (turned off proxy settings, removed browser extensions, reset TCP/IP and DNS) but haven't reset network settings as I felt I had already gone down a path I knew little about.

So now I am still stuck with no WIFI connection for my laptop (our iPads, wifes work laptop and phones can still access WIFI), no way to access my modem settings and a non-functioning printer haha. So the issue seems to be with whatever I have done in the modem settings and the fact my laptop now can't connect to the WIFI.

All I want to do is undo the MAC filtering setting I altered on the modem so I can go back to having WIFI on the laptop... it's the only thing that makes sense to me that caused all this.

Can anyone help me get this laptop back to normal with the normal modem IP address etc? What do I need to do? 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarkW84
Accepted Solution

Re: Issues with WIFI and accessing Modem Settings after altering MAC filtering

I just solved it myself after wasting all that time on a long post... I just used my phone to log in to the wireless settings and disabled the Access Control List and back up and firing!!

Not sure how to mark this as solved as it was my first, and probably last, time posting!!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
MarkW84
Accepted Solution

Re: Issues with WIFI and accessing Modem Settings after altering MAC filtering

I just solved it myself after wasting all that time on a long post... I just used my phone to log in to the wireless settings and disabled the Access Control List and back up and firing!!

Not sure how to mark this as solved as it was my first, and probably last, time posting!!

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more