WFPL
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Laptop turning off modem

Answered

I have recently purchased a new HP laptop and when I turn it on after it has been off for a while (say overnight), my Telstra Technicolour TG797nV3 turns off. After a few minutes it turns back on and the laptop connects to the modem. All my other HP laptops, PC and our ipads connect just fine. The laptop is located the furthest from the modem of any of the other devices. After the laptop has connected, I have shut down and turned it back on and it doesn't turn off the modem the 2nd time, even after an hour of being turned off it will connect to the modem no problem. I installed a surge protector on the modem two weeks ago and I am pretty sure that this problem was not happening before I installed the surge protector. Please help! It is really frustrating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WFPL
Accepted Solution

Re: Laptop turning off modem

Update:

First: received a new Telstra Business Smart Modem V7610 from Telstra this morning and started setting it up and couldn't get an internet connection. Yay! So called Telstra and actually got a tech who seemed to know what she was doing. Factory reset modem and hallelujah, ADSL login and username screen came up. Logged in and the internet connected almost immediately! Speed only gone up slightly so still slow. NBN Fixed Wireless connection will at least give me another option. Waiting for notification of when tech will be coming out.

Second: Laptop reboot. The laptop only started rebooting the modem around the end of January when a number of Intel updates were performed. I suspect that these may have been the culprits.

I found a post online suggesting a network reset. See above, which I did. Left the laptop off overnight, turned it on and it didn't reboot modem. Turned it on again last night, no reboot. I haven't called HP yet. Will see if it reboots new modem first. Can't believe that a network reset would solve the problem. That would be too easy. Will leave this thread open a little longer to see if the laptop reboots this new modem. (Will need to trial it after I have entered the new wifi details and left it overnight).

If it seems the reboot issue is resolved, I will close this thread.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
64 REPLIES 64
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Is the new laptop connected by ethernet cable or wifi?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
WFPL

It is connected via wifi. There is no ethernet port.

Jupiter

What model laptop is it?

There have been issues in the past with Apple devices causing modems to reboot, but haven't heard of an HP laptop doing it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
WFPL

It is a HP x360 convertible.

cf4

Have you checked that the WiFi driver is up to date on the laptop?. There was a similar problem to this and the fix was updating the Wireless driver. (See link below)

Wifi connection shuts down modem/router | CyberText Newsletter (wordpress.com)

It might also be time to replace the modem. The modem is no longer supported by Telstra and does not have the latest WiFi security updates. Second hand Telstra smart modem's can be bought for less than $50. These have mich better WiFi and still are supported by Telstra with firmware updates. Telstra sending some customers a email offering free upgrade to the latest smart modem gen 2. If you contact support you might be able to get a free upgrade.

WFPL

I completed all updates for both the device and windows. There is nothing needed to be updated. I removed the surge protector thinking this might be the problem. When I turned it on 10 minutes ago it had been off for a few hours and when I turned it on the modem turned off. Then I waited and the modem turned on and everything was green and the laptop connected to the modem then I turned the laptop off again and turned it back on straight away and it connected immediately and caused no problems. The laptop only seems to turn off the modem when it has been off overnight or for a few hours. Tearing out hair!

Jupiter

It could be something on the power supply side of things if the laptop is plugged into the mains power.

Try starting the laptop from battery only and see if the router experiences the same behaviour.

WFPL

Yes, I tried that. I have called Telstra and they think it is because my modem (a Telstra TG797nV3) is too old and that my new laptop is too powerful. We have at least 5 ipads connected all the time and sometimes the PC or another laptop on at the same time. The Telstra tech said they were surprised the modem was working at all with that many devices connected to it. So maybe a more powerful modem is what I need.

Jupiter

That number of devices shouldn't normally cause a problem.

Try turning all the other devices off and then turn the laptop on.

WFPL

I could try that, but it will be difficult to keep track of. People will start getting grumpy if they have to constantly turn their device wifi on and off. But I wouldn't be able to test the theory anyway for a few hours as this only happens when I turn the laptop on after it has been off for a few hours at least.

cf4

You could try changing the WiFi mode of the laptops WiFi adapter to a/b/g/n/ac (Disable WiFi 6)

WFPL

What happens if I disable Wi-fi 6 and why is it a problem? In Device Manager under network adaptors Wi-Fi 6 is set to 802.11a/b/g wireless mode under advanced tab.

cf4

WiFi 6 could be causing the modem to reboot as the modem does not support WiFi 6 it only supports WiFi b/g/n. If you disable WiFi 6 it will result in a lower WiFi speed when the modem connects to an WiFi access point that supports WiFi 6. There are not many WiFi hot spots that currently support WiFi 6 so should not notice any change in speed with WiFi 6 disabled.

WFPL

Would a Netgear V7610 support the Wi-fi 6 driver?

WFPL

I uninstalled the Wifi 6 AX200 driver andwhen I went to reinstall it, Device Manager installed Wi-fi 6 AX201 driver and now under the advanced tab in properties it says 802.11a/b/g wireless mode and under value it says dual band 802.11a/b/g. It didn't say that before. It looks like Device Manager has installed a newer driver. I will see if I still have the problem in a few hours. Please keep an eye on this feed guys, I do appreciate your help.

WFPL

It should be noted that the other devices (2 laptops and a PC) have 802.11d under Properties and enabled under Value and have realtek adaptors instead of the Wi-Fi 6 adaptor.

WFPL

Yep. The network adaptor in the new laptop is still rebooting the modem when it is turned on after a longer shut down period. Hopefully a newer modem will fix the issue otherwise I am not sure what to do.

cf4

Try setting the WiFi adapter to N. See image below.

WFPL

Ok I will try this and let you know. I have ordered a new modem as you suggested (free) as you said my TG797nV3 is too old and doesn't support the Wi-fi 6 DX201 network adaptor. They are sending me the Gateway Pro V7610 modem. Will this modem be compatible with the Wi-fi 6 DX201? And will it be compatible with the Realtek Network adaptors in my other devices running 802.11d? Thank you so much for your help.

cf4

The modem is not a WiFi 6 modem but is less likely to be turned off by the laptop. All Telstra modems are WiFi 5 modems except the the Telstra 5G Home Broadband modem. I surprised they are sending the V7610 as that is a modem they provide for business customers. Its not my preferred choice, it will have much better WiFi than your current modem.

WFPL

I am a business customer so I guess that's why they are sending it. Thanks for the info. Will my other devices be supported, they should right as they are realtek adaptors? The other thing that concerns me is which bandwidth I should connect my 12 devices too! Info online suggests that the further away a device is you should use 2.4 and devices closer to the modem should use 5. Or should I connect my devices to both bandwidths? I changed the property on the wi-fi 6 adaptor to your suggestion above. Interestingly, I turned the laptop on to make this change thinking it would reboot the modem but I turned it on right next to the modem instead of down the other end of the house where it lives and it didn't reboot the modem, just connected like normal. I haven't yet tested the theory of turning it on now I have made the change you suggested but I will turn it on in a few hours far away from the modem and see what happens. I will let you know.

cf4

All your devices should be able to connect to modem's WiFi. It is only if you have very old WiFi devices that you might have to change some of the modem's WiFi settings. If I have devices dual band WiFi devices I first connect them to the 2.4 GHz WiFi and then connect them to the 5 GHz WiFi. That way they will automatically connect to the WiFi band that gives best performance. 

WFPL

Awesome. Thank you. I will check that laptop in a while and see if your fix worked and let you know. So pleased with the info you have provided. So hard to find this kind of info online.

WFPL

Hi just wanted to let you know that I just restarted the laptop at the other end of the house from the modem . It has been off for about 3 and a half hours and it didn't reboot the modem. I will leave it til this evening and do it again, but changing the adaptor to 802.11n/ac/ax in properties and to 802.11n in value may have fixed the problem. I don't have much tech expertise but could you tell me why changing the properties and value of the network adaptor can fix modem reboots? Does it have something to do with what a modem supports or is compatible with?

cf4

It could be that the TG797 is not compatible with WiFi 6 (802.11AX) devices and this could be causing the modem to reboot when the laptop tries to connect. The modem is a WiFi 3 (802.11N). Hopefully setting the laptops adapter to 802.11N should fix problem.

Other Technicolor modems have been known to reboot when certain WiFi devices connect to them. Last year there was a problem with IOS devices causing Technicolor Gen 2 smart modems to reboot. It is also possible for modems to cause WiFi devices to reboot. When the latest Technicolor modem had its WiFi security updated to Protected Management Frames one of my Android devices would reboot every time modem's WiFi was turned on. The modem reboots because something has happened that it does not have instructions on how to handle and it reboots in order to fix the problem just like a PC reboots will reboot when something unexpected happens that it can't handle.

WFPL

Thank you for the info. Just turned the laptop back on after 7 or so hours turned off and it rebooted the modem again (sigh). So changing the laptop's adaptor to 802.11n didn't help unfortunately. Maybe the new Telstra Netgear V7610 with wifi 5 will be better. If I am still having trouble when the new modem is installed, should I consider installing a different network adaptor?

WFPL

Just went into Device Manager and checked the adaptor property and it had reverted back to 802.11a/b/g and Dual band 802.11a/b/g in the value. Tried changing it to 802.11n again but it wouldn't allow me to do it, weird. The laptop will connect to the modem but only after it shuts it down first!!! 😂

cf4

There should be two mode settings, one called "802.11a/b/g" and the other called "802.11n/ac/ax mode". Can't you set the "802.11n/ac/ax mode" to 802.11n?

WiFi_6_Set_To_N.png

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - as an interim suggestion before your new modem arrives and given you are a business user with 12 devices, does changing the Adapter setting - 'Channel Bandwidth  2.4Ghz' drop down menu to 20 Mhz only provide any improved stability? Also in the modem, if not already so, can you limit the Channel Bandwidth in the WiFi setting from Auto (which will select 20/40 if available ) to 20 Mhz only.

MargaretMorris
Level 2: Rookie

Hello I found an archived solution from 2019 that seems to answer my problem.  Unfortunately it is very difficult to talk to Telstra Tech Support without an hour or so just to start the conversation.  Thank you for your advice. 

NBN Modem problem. I've just spent 4 days with Telstra on hour long phone calls with no resolution. 😭

"If the light on the front is blue then there is a fault on the FTTN link and the modem has switched to back up mode. In back up mode speed is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up this gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for extended period of time. When the connection gets throttled the only way to remove the throttling is to contact support and request they submit a Web form to have throttling removed. There was probably nothing wrong with your original modem and problems have been caused by a faulty termination in the street cabling. The only way the fault will be fixed is for a NBN Co tech to be sent out to check the line. I can't understand why support wants to monitor the connection for 48 hours when the modem is in back up mode."

WFPL

Thank you, I will try this and let you know if it worked. Will it slow the internet much?

WFPL

Yes, I tried that but after I selected those settings and clicked OK and left the window, when I return to that window it has reset to the 802.11a/b/g setting. I don't know why. 

WFPL

Tried your suggestion and the same thing happened that happened when I tried to change to the 802.11n. I made the change clicked OK and when I checked again it had reset to the 802.11a/b/g setting. It seems you can't apply the setting you want.

Mkrtich

Yes, it is strange behaviour - it looks like Intel, for this driver has assumed 802.11 a/b/g is for 2.4Ghz only - the 'g' is limited to theoretical maximum of 54 Mbps - very rare to have a 'g' device these days, most 2.4 Ghz legacy devices support 802.11n - some of older devices can operate in 2.4 Ghz only or later versions can operate in 2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz bands. 

It seems logical to me that the Intel adapter would be happy in the 802.11 n/ac/ax mode fixed to 802.11n given the modem is limited to that 'n' only mode - I don't think the modem does 5Ghz 'n' as it was released in 2012. In the Channel Bandwidth 5GHz, is there a drop down to select for 20 Mhz or 20/40Mhz rather than 80 Mhz.

The Intel adapter can accommodate 160 Mhz in an 802.11 ac/ax profile but the modem can't do more than 40Mhz. If the modem did have the ability to handle 160 Mhz e.g. an 802.11ac Wave 2 modem freed of its usual limit, no other device on the network would have access to the bandwidth. This is why on 802.11ac modems, they are set in default at a Auto 40/80 Mhz max limit. 

Can't think what else could be causing interference - will do some more reading on the modem's maximum Wi-Fi device capability if I can find it. Your TG797v3 has three non overlapping channels for connection selection and we have no insight to the concurrent load it is carrying and other networks in your area. You should expect a great improvement with the V7610 Wi-Fi capability.  

WFPL

Thank you for your insight. I will test a theory this evening as I will be out most of today and do not want to risk losing my internet all day while I am not at home. The few times I have turned on the laptop close to the modem after it has been off for a while it has not rebooted the modem. This evening I will turn it on near the modem and see if it reboots it. I understand my current modem is quite old and struggles with the connection to the laptop and that a new modem will probably make a difference, but I also suspect that it's distance from the modem is part of the problem. Will let you all know the result.

Mkrtich

Just for information only.

So it appears that the Broadcom SoC Chipset used in the TG797v3 , the BCM6362 can support, in its 802.11n structure, both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Bands and I assume Technicolor has not prevented it from doing so in its firmware. If the information is accurate, this means that the adapter should honour the original selection depicted in cf4's photo of Intel settings which may or may not be related to the 5Ghz band only - no Dual Band 802.11 n for selection is shown which may indicate Dual Band is implicit in that setting because it is not selectable in the one above it - the 802.11 a/b/g mode settings. With 5GHz, coverage distances are not as great as 2.4Ghz.

Identiying the SoC

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwarehacking/comments/3qxz2l/telstra_bigpond_technicolor_tg797n_v3_adven... 

Broadcom Spec Sheet

https://www.broadcom.com/products/broadband/xdsl/bcm6362 

WFPL

I have to be honest and say that I don't fully understand what you are saying here but that is my lack of expertise showing!

What I did do when I returned home this afternoon was take the offending laptop close to the modem and then I turned it on and it did not reboot the modem. This is a good thing but after reading info. provided by others on this feed I have concluded that a wifi 3 modem is not really compatible with a wifi 6 network adaptor and that hopefully the wifi 5 modem (V7610) will eliminate the need to bring the laptop close to the modem to get an initial connection without a modem reboot. I have read a few blogs online stating that the new modem should work effectively with all my devices. Many of them support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (ipads and probably the newer HP devices). cf4 suggested that if my devices support both then I should connect to 2.4 first and then 5Ghz on each device so they can swap between when necessary.

To be honest, I am a little nervous about the installation of the new modem because I am not a huge fan of change (which is clear as I own a wifi 3 modem!) And am concerned with my own abilities to get it installed correctly from the beginning. I have set up 3 HP laptops and one HP PC over the last year and I have learnt a lot doing so but it has been stressful. A new modem may add to that stress.

I appreciate all the advice and information you have all supplied to me in this feed. I won't put in an accepted solution just yet until I see whether the new modem resolves the reboot issues with the new HP laptop. I will post here after the modem's install to let you all know what happened. Thanks again.

Mkrtich

Sorry if I have confused matters. I think all should go well with your new V7610 modem - it is has more modern technology multi CPU engine within the SoC ( System on Chip) which accompanied by two specialist external on board Wi-Fi chips, one for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5 Ghz, which provide high end Wi-Fi credentials and speeds. The TG797v3 SoC includes the two CPUs and one integrated Wi-Fi radio within the SoC that does both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz, so its capabilities are not as strong as the V7610.

The V7610 maximum theoretical speeds are rated at 289 Mbps for 2.4 Ghz and 2167 Mbps for 5Ghz ; these are not achievable in real world applications , however I would expect your new Laptop to surprise you with a quick response. 

I have one of these modems with an old firmware version for testing and it's WiFi is good and strong. The default IP Address range of the V7610 will be different to your current settings, however if you alter the default Wi-Fi Broadcast names for the new 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks to your existing SSID name and password, all your wireless devices should connect to it without alteration in their respective devices.  

The incompatibility between the new HP Laptop and the existing modem remains a mystery - sometimes things occur without reason. It will be interesting to see how it links to the new modem.

WFPL

A mystery yes! Funny how it connects either right near the modem or if it is far away from the modem, it reboots it first then connects. I suppose I should be grateful it can connect at the moment!

Actually, I did read in the modem instruction guide online that I can change the new modem's SSID and password to my current one and that will save connecting all my devices again. The only thing that concerns me is that my current modem only has 2.4Ghz and not the 5Ghz. So I don't currently have two SSID names eg. Telstra111 and Telstra111-5G but the new modem will. If I change the SSID name on my new modem I can't change the 5G name as I don't have one with my current modem. Will I just have to use the new SSID'S?

cf4

You use the same SSID and password  for both WiFi bands of the new modem. You don't have to use a separate SSID and password for each band. By default all the recent Telstra  consumer grade modems use the same SSID and password.

WFPL

Oh guys, where do I start!!!! Received the V7610. Began setting up at 11.15 this morning. Followed instructions to the t. Power light good, WAN light solid blue, wifi light solid blue...no internet. It searched and searched for a internet connection but just kept flashing orange and not flashing consistently either. So called Telstra. I may as well have taken a mallet to my own head. I have spent 3 hours on the phone to them in tech support. Two different people. First one took an hour then tells me there is an outage. I didn't believe her and to prove it, reconnected my old modem with the new cables to test it. Guess what internet worked fine! So called back to say that she was wrong, next guy even more clueless and still tells me that it is an outage and to wait until tomorrow when it will be all fixed! I have reconnected my old modem again and my PC even did an update (pretty sure internet is required for that!)

So the only things coming to mind for me are:

The modem did not bring up the installation wizard as it says it will. Just brought up a window saying it was searching for an internet connection and all I got was a flashing orange light occasionally. 

Because it didn't bring up the installation wizard it also did not ask me for my ADSL credentials (username and password). So I went to the Gateway and the Internet page was set to no login required.  I changed that and used the ADSL login credentials I had for my old modem and attempt to authenticate that way. Nope.

Just wondering if I need a new ADSL username and password for a new modem or are those credentials specific to your ADSL connection?

And even if they are specific to your ADSL connection, shouldn't I have been asked to enter them?

Seriously, I think I might have to move!!

As a side note, the new laptop has not rebooted the modem again. It is leaving the premises daily and coming back in the afternoon still turned on. When you open the lid it is connected to the modem here. Also, if it is off and turned on next to the modem it doesn't reboot it.

But also recognise that the old modem is struggling with the attempted downloads being forced on it. It rebooted by itself yesterday when there were around 5 devices going at once. And to be honest, since mid last year when we increased the number of devices using the modem it has had the occasional reboot.

Any suggestions on how to get out if this one or should I be requesting a tech visit?

cf4

So to hear of your dramas with the new modem. I being to wonder if the Telstra support staff have any technical training in the types of equipment and connections they are supposed to support.

The ADSL login credentials are specific to the connection. Your old credentials should have worked. One of the first things Telstra support should have checked was that the modem was set for connection requires a login. Most of the Telstra ADSL servers now automatically configure the consumer grade modem's (including the TG797) with the correct username and password when modem first connects. I not sure if the V7610 has that ability) The only thing I can suggest is you might be using the wrong password. If you are connected to one of the newer servers that automatically update modem with correct credentials the server will automatically update the old modem with correct credentials if incorrect credentials are entered. 

Internet Service provider should be set to PPPOE,

Use WAN upload link should be deselected.

Internet IP address should be set to "Get Dynamically from ISP"

WFPL

The modem was not set to require login. I checked this in the Gateway. I checked login required and put in my username and password (checked password to make sure it was ok).

The Internet Service provider was set toPPPoE The WAN upload link was deselected and the internet IP address was set to "Get Dynamically from ISP".

I clicked apply but it still couldn't find the internet so I repeated this process a number of times.  I also unplugged everything, reset the modem, everything and it still wouldn't connect.

At a loss. I will try again tomorrow morning and enter my login details carefully, but as you say the modem should be set to require login which it doesn't appear to be.

WFPL

Found an old thread from 2019 covering this exact topic and you gave the person the same advice you have given me. If I can't get it to work tomorrow I will lodge a complaint, modem may be faulty too.. (And if it is going to happen to anyone it'll happen to me!)

I am just grateful I still have a modem that does work, albeit a lot slower and with a habit of rebooting itself!

WFPL

Plus, I am actually really angry that the two Telstra techs told me there was an outage when there clearly isn't and they just flat out lied to me to get rid of me. Super bad customer service!!

Mkrtich

Yes something doesn't appear right with the modem. Firstly, it takes its time for a bootup - 4-5 minutes is not unusual and it is slow to activate any internal modem menu links - sometimes 15-20 seconds wait time after selection and if you Soft or Factory Reset from within the menu, it also takes equally long time. I suggest you factory reset the modem - with power ON, insert a paperclip into the Reset hole for at least 10 seconds. Don't connect a PC to it until boot up is completed - wait at least 4 minutes or until/if you see the blue Internet LED come ON. I am wondering since you are a Business Customer, if your replacement modem has to be pre-registered for special activation with a customer entered code - are you a Telstra DOT Customer with SIP telephony connected to the modem as well?

In the Advanced screen Internet section - are all the expected entries empty i.e. WAN IP Address, SubNet mask, DNS Servers etc. My arrangement is different to yours - I avoided the Wizard as it is connected as a secondary router using the WAN port which is fed from my Arcadyan primary router and it auto recognised Internet.  

In case the modem is trying to do an update, when you log-in to the Advanced screen - what firmware are you seeing - the last one I have seen on the forum is 2.2.2.28 which should show Telstra Smart Business Modem title ; my test unit seems to be locked to 2.2.2.6 (shows Telstra Gateway Pro) which is two versions behind the one quoted above. 

If you are not getting Internet, suggest you go to the Administration/Log link and view the entries. You won't see any detail in the window - maybe four to five lines only shown, page down to bottom and choose 'Info and Higher' , then Download - that will save the SysLog to your PC as as a text file maybe 500 lines. Open it up in a spreadsheet to view the detailed entries - you should it attempting to get a WAN link or an error.  

WFPL

I am not a Telstra DOT customer and a few days ago I contacted Telstra to make sure I had the correct ADSL login details which it appears I do. I will try and go through the suggestions you have made tomorrow and see if I can gather any info.

As far as lights on the modem are concerned the Power, Wifi and WAN lights were all solid blue but the internet light flashed orange irregularly.

Will post an update tomorrow however I am not particularly confident there is a easy solve with this. And the thought of calling Telstra again makes my blood boil! It's a shame Telstra do not have more experienced personnel such as the people I have been talking to here.

cf4

There are a couple of other things to check.

In Advanced > Setup > xDSL check that ATM is selected.

In Advanced > Setup >xDSL check that VLAN Tag is not ticked.

WFPL

Hi guys. Really appreciate all your assistance with these issues and I just attempted to connect the new modem again and followed the checks you gave me and all those settings as you requested.

Unfortunately no luck. I will contact faults again tomorrow and express my disappointment in both service and equipment.  Unfortunately I am not alone with these issues and it is quite frustrating to face constant issues with internet connectivity. 

Saw a couple of Netgear posts regarding the orange flashing internet light and all their posts claim it is a connectivity issue.

Maybe the new modem just can't locate my weak little ADSL connection!

Have reconnected the old faithful slow modem and have green lights across the board (using the new modem's cabling!).

Not really sure you guys can help me much more, you have been great so far and I think I have only managed to hold onto my sanity because of your advice. So thanks. I will post again if I am able to solve this issue.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more