Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Laptop turning off modem

The orange Flashing on the Internet LED means that the authentication of your user ID and password is in progress - source user manual. If you are certain about those entries, maybe connect it back up when you go to sleep and see if it is on the network in the morning. I have read some posts on other modems where authentication can take up to 20 minutes - can't understand why that would be.

WFPL
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Yes that's what I thought late last night so I reconnected the modem this morning, did a factory reset (pin in back) .Power light fine, WAN light fine internet began flashing orange but the screen that says it is trying to connect to the internet was blank and after a few minutes the modem reboot itself got the power light, then the WAN light and then rebooted itself again! Another post on here said you should uncheck the box 'My internet connection requires a password", then enter the login details and make sure all other settings are as everyone here has suggested but I can't even access the Gateway anymore!

I think I either need a tech or a new modem as the old faithful TG797v3 is working just fine!

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

The modem reboots when it is updating firmware. It could have been updating the firmware. The modem can reboot up to 5 times as it needs to install all the previous firmware updates before it can install the current firmware.

One thing you could try is leaving modem on with its WAn port connected to a LAN port of the TG797. For internet to work will have to be configured as does not require login. Once internet is working this way can try reconnecting to the phone port and setting up as requires a login.

WFPL

Ok, I will try this too. I did check the firmware update yesterday and it is the latest one.

Mkrtich

Hi - not sure of the background to the post your referred to above. My understanding is that if you have ADSL, and you are manually configuring the modem, according to the User Guide, it states you select tick Yes on "Does your Internet Account require a Log-In' and you enter your details and Apply as it uses PPPoE signaling. If you had NBN FTTN VDSL2, you would say No and not enter any details as it uses IPoE signaling . 

Page 22 and 23 of User Guide. 

When you first get the modem and if you use the Wizard for auto Internet service type detection and connection, admin access to the modem with default modem User ID (admin) and Password (telstra) is not required (can be customised later by user) . After that, it will be required for any interaction with the modem. The modem locks you out after 3 mins or so of inactivity and requires modem admin User ID and Password to get back in. During the Wizard connection process, if it recognises that you have an ADSL service, you will be asked to enter your Telstra ID and password for the ADSL account. 

WFPL

Yes I checked that information in the quick start guide and the full guide that I downloaded. If the modem was working correctly it should have done all those things.

When I first began set up the modem did not bring up the wizard at all so I was unable to enter my username and password. The only window it brought up was one that said it was searching for an internet connection and that was it. I could access the Gateway with the Telstra login and there I was able to enter my ADSL username and login but it did not accept them and I did tick Ues "Does your internet require a login" but it didn't accept it.

When I connected the modem this morning it didn't even bring up the window saying it was searching for an internet connection and nor could I access the Gateway. It said the site could not be reached. The Internet light flashed orange sporadically.

The firmware was up to date the last time I was able to check it and the power, WAN and wifi lights stayed solid blue.

I have organised a computer tech to come out next week to try and help me establish the modem and if we have no luck I will contact Telstra.

Mkrtich

Hi - sorry to read you ended up with a troublesome modem. Hope it gets resolved soon. 

Mkrtich

Hi - Just some additional information regarding the V7610 which may assist your technician - it is by far the slowest response modem I have used for configuration screens or Boot Ups. I have been trying to upgrade its firmware from 2.2.2.6 to 2.2.2.32 (thanks to a tip from cf4) over the past two days without success - it won't connect to the Telstra Upgrade Server. What I have noticed is this - I don't have ADSL or FTTN, I am on NBN HFC using the modem's WAN port.

1. When you hard Factory Reset it with a paperclip - after 10 seconds, all LEDs on the rear LAN and WAN ports will flash in green and amber in unison. For the next 15-20 seconds, every LED on the from panel will turn ON and OFF very quickly - it lights up like a Christmas tree. After about 3-4 minutes it settles down and the top Internet LED is Blue. The Auto Internet WAN Sensing Configuration welcome screen comes ON and confirms I have Internet. You are then invited to customise a few settings - I select WiFi only to change and put in a custom password. I then get an Installation Summary screen that is Blank for the next 1.5-2 minutes ( I am thinking what is going on here) and then the summary comes up confirming configuration details of the external WAN Internet Address and Wi-Fi SSID and password. So if you get a blank screen, just wait a while.

I then get thrown out with an error screen saying 'Looking for www.telstrabusiness.com' - as I am not a business customer, I closed that page down and went back into the modem 192.168.15.1 - all looks good and I can connect to the Internet. My modem came from a Telstra DOT customer, so I suspect it is trying to link somewhere to that site or my firmware is locked to 2.2.2.6 or just corrupted for the upgrade component. All basic functionality works fine - I don't use VPN, SIP Telephony, Secondary Mobile WAN  or Remote Access.

So for a factory reset, unexpected patience seems to be required - acknowledge I may have a partially damaged firmware but it doesn't seem to impact operation. 

WFPL

Update: My Technician came today and we have established that the V7610 modem is faulty. It kept turning itself on and off amongst other things.

However, seems I am eligible for Fixed Wireless so am now looking into getting that established. My tech will also assist with wireless boosting whether I get an NBN connection or not.

My only concern now is that although I received this modem at no charge from Telstra that they might try and sneak the cost of it onto my bill! Of course, I won't pay for a broken toy!

I will leave another update on here when my internet connection is more stable. Thanks everyone.

Mkrtich

Hi - that's disappointing. You shouldn't be charged any extra service fee for your existing Broadband plan as it includes a working modem - it seems luck is sometimes involved - some customers have ended up getting multiple faulty modems before a good one arrived. Suggest to report it to Telstra and get another free replacement. If you are not using the sophisticated high end features of the Netgear V7610 such as VPN, Port Forwarding, Remote Access or D.O.T. Voice Calling with SIP DECT, then you may be better off requesting a residential class Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. 

If you are considering migrating to an NBN Fixed Wireless service, it may be feasible for you to maintain the ADSL service and run both broadband links in parallel for some time to gauge reliability and operation or continue with the ADSL and telephone line service running. Unlike, city based customers, people in Fixed Wireless areas are not obligated to migrate to the NBN service. Fixed Wireless link connectivity has improved since initial early days of launch with cell upgrade capacity and associated speeds, however the quality of the connection is greatly influenced by how close you are to the cell tower and if you have good line of sight. 

WFPL

Thanks for the advice. I will call Telstra and request the other modem.

Yes, I had planned to run both the ADSL and Fixed Wireless services together in an attempt to avoid as many internet drop outs as possible. It's an extra cost per month but at least I should have more stable internet.

As a side note, the reason I started this thread has not been solved! The new laptop is still rebooting the modem on occasion. I intend to call HP and discuss the problem with them. I think if I remove the current network adaptor and install a similar one to my other HP devices, I may be able to solve the problem, so I will talk to HP tech support and see which network adaptor will work.

I will keep this thread open for a little longer in case I can get a solution from HP. Interesting how my reboot problem became a modem problem and instead of one problem I now have two!

WFPL
Accepted Solution

Update:

First: received a new Telstra Business Smart Modem V7610 from Telstra this morning and started setting it up and couldn't get an internet connection. Yay! So called Telstra and actually got a tech who seemed to know what she was doing. Factory reset modem and hallelujah, ADSL login and username screen came up. Logged in and the internet connected almost immediately! Speed only gone up slightly so still slow. NBN Fixed Wireless connection will at least give me another option. Waiting for notification of when tech will be coming out.

Second: Laptop reboot. The laptop only started rebooting the modem around the end of January when a number of Intel updates were performed. I suspect that these may have been the culprits.

I found a post online suggesting a network reset. See above, which I did. Left the laptop off overnight, turned it on and it didn't reboot modem. Turned it on again last night, no reboot. I haven't called HP yet. Will see if it reboots new modem first. Can't believe that a network reset would solve the problem. That would be too easy. Will leave this thread open a little longer to see if the laptop reboots this new modem. (Will need to trial it after I have entered the new wifi details and left it overnight).

If it seems the reboot issue is resolved, I will close this thread.

View solution in original post

WFPL

Please see post above for an update. Since I performed the network reset on the offending laptop it has not rebooted the modem (old or new modem).

NBN to be installed next month.

cf4

Glad to hear the original  problem has been solved and you now have a new modem that works.

Mkrtich

That's great and thanks for confirming your outcome. It may help someone else one day in the future. 

You are now an accredited network troubleshooter on the modem and the laptop. Smiley Happy All the best.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more