Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

LH1000 modem

Hi, two weeks ago the internet connection started dropping out. After many, many sessions with Telstra support going round in circles and covering the same ground over and over again I think i have identified what the problem is but do not know why it is happening. The LH1000 has four 'port's on the reverse. No matter which port is used it works OK then after a while fades and stops. It restarts when the cable is switched to a neighbouring port. Resets, restarts etc all have been tried over and over again. it has the latest software 0.12.09. I am thinking of throwing it and Telstra away and reverting to smoke signals...any help greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: LH1000 modem

If the problem is occurring on one device disable any power saving feature on the devices ethernet adapter. Link below shows how to disable power saving on a PC.

https://help.theatremanager.com/installing-theatre-manager/disable-power-saving-ethernet

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Yes, power management of ethernet interfaces can be an issue - so much of this stuff is enabled by default these days..  by people who obviously know better  than us users...  Smiley Frustrated

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Many thanks for the comments, most appreciated, 6.20 am and I made the changes to the power saving option. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Highlighted

Well, it worked OK yesterday until late in the afternoon when it dropped down to 25mbps from 54mbps. At least it did not stop altogether so i am grateful.. Today dropped right down to 0.5mbps. When I change the ports it kicks back in. Really, interesting problem because I do not have a clue as to what could be causing this. I did of course make the changes to the settings you recommended, thanks. I also checked when restarting the PC to make sure the earlier settings re network power were not being reloaded.

Highlighted

OK, would you have an un-managed switch handy - simple device? Connect that to a modem port and then connect the device/s giving trouble into the switch ports instead. Monitor that and see what happens, try with just the switch connected as well. if you can connect something by wifi to the router, that will monitor the internet connectionThis might assist in checking if it is a faulty device or cable - which might shut down the switch but not the router..

I have one device (micro controller with ethernet breakout) that exhibits similar behaviour when connected direct to the router, but not if I connect it to a switch..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Is there anything in the router log around that time?

Does the problem happen if there is nothing connected to the router LAN ports (just connected by Wi-Fi)?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks. good suggestion to look at the logs. Here is the advice re the port which I extracted from the log.

03.10.2020 11:43:15 Ethernet LAN port 2 link is DOWN

I then plugged it in to another port

the log message then is

03.10.2020 11:43:17 Ethernet LAN port 1 link is UP

Had not thought about the issue of it being related to my PC only.

That is if it works on wifi.alone.

When we have noticed it going down the wifi is also down so that led me to believe they were not isolated issues.

Re the above earlier message I will work through the details and come back

Thanks again 

Highlighted

if your internet service goes down, it affects any internet connections - Wi-Fi or cable..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Hi - when your NBN Internet service has a technical transmission problem, the modem will swap you over the Telstra 4G LTE Back Up WAN service - this process may take a few minutes. During that time, the LAN ports won't work and you may lose Wi-Fi as well. When you experienced these events, was the LED on the front face of the modem Blue - indicates in Back Up mode. Rear LEDs - Green on both Mobile and Red/Amber/Green on Signal Strength.

If on a 50/20 plan, in 4G mode, your speeds will drop to 25/2 Mbps and may be capped to lower speeds after you reach a download limit ( 10GB ? debatable - some say you are and others say you are not capped).

You may also have a faulty LAN switch inside the modem or a marginal modem Power Supply - if you have received another Telstra modem ( also not uncommon), you could use it to test. What did Telstra Support say to you? 

Highlighted

Sorry but I have tried to think this through and do not have what you describe.-

"an un-managed switch handy - simple device? Connect that to a modem port and then connect the device/s giving trouble into the switch ports instead. Monitor that and see what happens, try with just the switch connected as well. if you can connect something by wifi to the router, that will monitor the internet connection. This might assist in checking if it is a faulty device or cable - which might shut down the switch but not the router.."

The connections are worse now than yesterday. It has been down to around 0.5mbps download for most of the afternoon. Tricky even getting on to see what helpful posts have been made by you.

Telstra have frankly not been helpful. Don't think it is them personally but they have a routine to test/check the modem from remote. Then it picks up after a few hours and they say 'there you are all fixed' and close their INC report.

In response to the switch over to 4G that never happens, the green lights are steady.

The plan they assure me was as before unlimited download capacity. We have a cable to the house which ran 100plus mbps before the nbn and afterwards now it is 54mbps for the same monthoy cost...a puzzle really- where is the benefit of switching to the nbn?

I had a thought.?

If i set up a lap top and plug it in to the ports and it also fades does that mean it is a modem problem rather than my pc problem.

It could though mean a cable problem from the modem to the pc?

Wow... what a  dark, mysterious jungle this Modem is.

Should i ask Telstra for a new modem?

Highlighted

That is what my suggestions were trying to prove, if it is a modem fault or a problem with the device being connected..

If the modem looks to be the problem, then you can advise Telstra (not here on CrowdSupport, because most of us are just customers like yourself) of the testing steps you have taken..

Chances are that Telstra will ship you a new modem..  replacement seems to be their hardware support mantra..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks, I will use my daughter's lap top and see if it detonates...

Highlighted

I think I am going insane.

Just kicked the cat.

Threw a firework into the neighbour's back garden.

After seemingly hours on the 'chat' with a gentleman from somewhere ...because the internet started up again he said 'now that the problem has been resolved the problem is there anything else i can help you wit today?'.

He refused to acknowledge my logical analysis.

The problem must be one of four variables. NBN, WAN cable. Modem or Cable to PC. Because the NBN is supposedly working OK according to Telstra, it is not the NBN. Because both the PC and wifi go dead at the same time it cannot be the cable to the PC. I disconnected the cable and the wifi still did not restart. I asked for a replacement cable and modem and they ignored me. Frankly i think the Telstra app is designed to shut down complaints and prevent service. I left it by saying that i was going to contact billing and advise them they must give me a credit. Or maybe i should simply switch to another ISP?. Darn it all our email addresses will need to be changed from the Telstra one... 

Highlighted

that is a point. If i switch i lose my email address. Unavoidable I guess.

By the way i explained how much effort had been put in by people helping me to no avail.

I think they cannot give a stuff at the Telstra call centre.

Highlighted

You might be surprised how long you keep your mail accounts actually..  you can also keep the accounts as a separately billed service..

The other option is to create a new portable accounts - gmail etc  and then put a forward on all incoming email on the Telstra account to that new email address. it will take a while for the Telstra account to be shutdown (I still have an old BigPond account that I 'closed' in 2007..  still works and forwards email..  :-)

Stevo 52
Highlighted

it is very challenging to deal with Telstra at present when I thought it couldn't get any worse and might actually improve  with the onset of Covid and the need for everyone to work smarter..  but I have been disappointed yet again,

The number of disappointed, cranky, bewildered, disgruntled and frustrated customers in forums like this and also the ones I meet and fix problems for in real life, totally dismays me! I don't know where Telstra pulled the model for their current customer support from but whoever found that cereal packet shouldn't get any sort of a bonus. how can they apply KPI's to what the customers like you and me have to deal with. When a business the size and strength of Telstra abdicates it's customer support  requirement to a customer based CrowdSupport forum with little presence or pro active involvement by actual Telstra staff show an astounding level of disrespect for their customer base. there is no consideration for the aged, the language challenged, the technology challenged, the ones who don't understand any of the choices - not all the customers are young, hip and trendy. I have had people in tears after trying to deal with Telstra and they do not know where to go to get better service.

Sorry, rant over!

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Hi - sorry to see you on a merry-go-round. It looks like you may have a faulty modem. Do you have another modem that can be connected to the NBN Arris modem to test stability - perhaps your previous  one - if so, let us know the model to verify if compatible or in case it needs any special configuration change?

To test the current Telstra modem - suggest to turn OFF the Telstra modem. Turn OFF the laptop. Remove the Ethernet cable from  the Telstra modem Red WAN port and connect it to the PC. Turn ON PC and see if it connects to the Internet. Do multiple speedtest to see results. If all stable, the modem is likely to be the culprit. You need to have your LH:1000 connected to the Arris modem so that it can provide the NAT and Firewall functions to protect you, so if all OK without the modem in the link, best to limit your testing time.

Remove Ethernet cable from your PC and leave disconnected. Turn on Telstra modem without any Ethernet wired connection to the modem - it should go into 4G Backup mode within 3-4 minutes - Blue LED on front face. Can you connect to it from a Wi-Fi enabled device first and then go to  any Telstra web page on the Internet ( either via the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz band or both if you have multiple devices). If so, then connect your laptop to one of the LAN ports to see it remains stable. If that doesn't work, likely to be another issue with the modem ( or remote possibly IPV4/IPV6 configuration setting into 4G page)

Whilst nothing is connected to the Arris modem, suggest to Power Reset it in case it also needs a refresh - it will also take about 2-3 minutes, sometimes it has a couple of goes and takes longer. 

Highlighted

Thanks a lot for the various contributions. Telstra cannot ever say that the people who use its products are not self - reliant! I have followed the above instructions and kept a record over the day.

Turned modem off.

I can only use the PC for testing as the lap top did not have a suitable connection for the white cable.

Connected the Red cable direct to PC (removed white cable).

Download at 10.12 was 1.9mbps with white cable connected.

With red cable direct here are the following readings from 10.20am to 10.45am, a twenty five minute period.

53.9        54.1        54.2        54.2        35.9        41.8        12.00     27.7        49.5        54.2        54.1        50.2

54.3        54.1        54.2        53.3        48.6        54.1        54.4        51.8        52.5        54.2        54.1        54.2

54.2        54.2

At the 10.24 am point it slowed down and at 10.26 dropped to 12mbps but recovered.

Removed white cable from Modem. Removed WAN cable from NBN box connection.

Turned Modem on. After a few minutes blue indicator appeared.

Presume that the wifi settings are now 4G and at the 2.4 Ghz rate.

Three devices using wifi.

Used tablet and went to Tesltra speed test site.

Used speed test and got download speed of 23.6 Mbps.

2 MBps upload and 27 ms Ping.

Used phone and the download wwas 22.7 Mbps.

Used third device, another tablet and all three are now active.

One using Youtube videos.

Another streaming The Matrix.

All three devices seem to be functioing OK at the 4G rate.

(When next the drop out occurs will use the 4G and check if streaming still possible).

Have power reset the NBN box.

Turned the modem off.

Reconnected white cable to PC and Modem.

Reconnected the WAN red cable to Modem.

Powered modem on.

Used mymodem to reset to factory defaults.

Modem went through process of rebooting.

Speed tests 11.37am 54.2             11.42am 54.0     12.36pm 54.1     1.31pm 54.1

At 5.34pm still stable at 54.0 Mbps.

So i am monitoring it to see what happens.

Highlighted

And it dropped out completely a few minutes ago but has since restarted. I did not change anything and it restarted.

Highlighted

Don't get confused between the 4G Broadband speed and the Wi-Fi speed - the former is the base internet connection speed. the latter is the speed of the wi-fi between the modem and a connected device (which can have a lot of 'overhead' depending on what you are doing/testing). A test over wifi could only ever be as good as the internet connection if you are testing to somewhere on the internet..  testing to somewhere on your network (NAS or Media server with no external service involved) will be closer to true wi-fi speed.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Hi - well done - you have down some good troubleshooting. I was hoping that the Arris Power Reset may have cleared any possible network issues, however if the modem didn't swap over to 4G Back Up and Reset itself, a very short interruption like a momentary power outage or brown out, it more so points to something your home network, the modem or something annoying it. Telstra may have asked you if you have the modem connected directly to a power point or is it connected to an overcrowded multi outlet power board? If practical, can you try only connecting the modem only to the wall outlet or minimise the number of devices sharing the same power point.  

If you are still up to it and haven't done so to date, check if Band Steering is Disabled in the 2.4 Ghz page and also Disable PMF and SAVE. You should now see separate Wi-Fi names for the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz broadcast names. To isolate other devices, can you disconnect any 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi device from the modem and see if the modem remains stable for an extended period using 1 LAN port first, if stable, then add another LAN connected device. Then connect one Wi-Fi device to the modem, observer stability or otherwise of modem. If stable, add another Wi-Fi device until all connected. As you connect successive Wi-Fi devices, if one of them drops modem into Power Reset mode - you may have possibly identified the culprit.   

@cf4  - I remember you once had your Foxtel iQ3/4? and when it connected on the 2.4Ghz band kept knocking out the modem / or Wi-Fi Network - can't remember which one (unsure of firmware at the time) and also we had participated in a post earlier on this year where the OP had a 2.4 Ghz Wireless Stereo system ( Sonos/Bose/Yamaha? ) which also interfered with the stability of the modem (maybe 0.10.10r or 0.11.11r?).  Did Version 0.12.0.9r fix your Foxtel iQ problem? 

Highlighted

Thanks, good point re the power supply.

At present i have the modem and the NBN box connected to separate power leads/cables but running from the two power points alongside each other on the wall. So they are not sharing a common 'plug' as such. (Electric leads to the horizon...)I have tried it with sharing a new power board also, and it does not seem to make any difference. I The modem did switch to 4G after a few minutes and showed the blue light and I did use it effectively when it was in the back up 4G mode. Quite surprised that it worked well. 

Please explain the comments leading up to 'the culprit'.

I did disable the Band Steering in the 2.4Ghz option. The PMF was already showing 'Off'.. I 'saved' so the Band Steering is off in the 2.4Ghz section.

I do not have Foxtel.

The only devices that would have access using the wifi are two Samsung Tablets and two Samsung phones.

Highlighted

Thanks. Sometimes unexplained things happen with communications and we never find the cause. Changing the modem out would certainly rule out the question of a cause, either to the same model or the Technicolor version - it may fix the problem or it may not if there is a NBN Network issue. I don't know. 

The only way I see it being resolved is to escalate to Telstra so that they can send a NBN technician to site to check all you coax connections, the external wall mounted box on the side of your home and the footpath pit - on migration over to the NBN, all the connectors in the connections path should have been replaced and the link  should have been certified with test results by NBN. The technician can then re-certify the link for signal quality and strength. Sometimes a Power Reset or Factory Reset on the Arris can refresh the link. (Wouldn't hurt to recheck tightness of cable connectors on coax wall outlet and Arris coax port)

I realise you are probably over it by now and would not look forward to contacting Telstra again in a hurry. When the opportunity arises, you may wish to consider using the channel depicted by the Moderator, @JayVee1  at the end of this post. https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/nbn-modem-failover/td-p/900326

If that does not initiate any satisfactory process from your point of view, the only other recourse I am aware of is to lodge an official complaint to the Telecomms Industry Ombudsman (TIO). I understand Telstra is tasked by the TIO for a response back to them within two weeks of TIO lodging an investigation response. I think you have a lot of worthwhile information in your thread for Telstra to read - hopefully you can copy the link to it into your text input to them. 

One of my neighbours who has NBN HFC coax lost his NBN for over two weeks and had three visits from NBN before the problem was mysteriously fixed from site with a 15 minute phone call from the tech's van, despite previously denying a Network fault and replacing the Arris modem twice , wishing to do another replacement a third time and also blaming the problem on my neighbour's Exetel modem.

The possible 'culprit' in your situation would be an unusual 2.4Ghz legacy device sending corrupted data to the modem causing sporadic shut down events. It doesn't look like you have any unusual Wi-Fi enabled devices, so we can rule that out.   

Highlighted

@Mkrtich 

It was a foxtel now box that caused the modem to reboot. It was a Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 1.1. The modem would reboot within 30 minutes of foxtel box connecting to modem and would keep rebooting at random intervals while foxtel box remained connected.  I can't remember what I did to fix it but it no longer occurs.

Highlighted

Thanks I will digest it all and prepare my mind to contact Telstra once again in one form or another -Using the Telstra app just gets people with limited skills and zero authority to exercise initiative. The downside of not having good internet access during the pandemic is so acute. I deliver presentations over Zoom. At least I can use the 4G mobile sim back up that is in the modem.

Highlighted

Highlighted

Thanks, I just wanted to check further on the devices aspect. So have disconnected al tablets and phones from the Telstra modem for at least 12 hours. The mymodem confirms no devices connected. If there is no drop out this may have been a source of the problem. Also double checked the Arris cables were securely connected.  

Highlighted

So the next step, after it has run fine for X amount of time (24hrs or more), is to reconnect the devices one at a time and see if the new device cause the problem..  

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Good point, thanks.

Highlighted

Here is a detailed list of the steps I have taken so far...any further thoughts before I launch into the contact Telstra ordeal? Thanks.

Here is a list of steps taken since the fault began to occur –

1. Changed network power settings in windows 10 to prevent shut down of network. Made no difference.
  2. Replaced power cables that lead to Arris modem and to the Arcadyan modem. Each has power supplied by a separate cable from a wall socket.
  3. Physically separated the two devices i.e. the Arris and the Arcadyan modem.
  4. Checked Arris modem connection cables as being secure.
  5. Turned off the modem and twice connected Red WAN cable direct to PC by passing the modem and ran speed tests for 25 and 40 minutes. Apart from one brief period when the download speed fell to 12Mbps the connection was stable at around 54Mbps.
  6. Disconnected the Arris modem. Modem switches/changes to 4G backup with blue light. Tested speed of both PC and Samsung tablets at around 27Mbps. Ran PC and four devices off this signal with minimal difficulty. Streaming at 27Mbps may not be as good as with internet, obviously.
  7. Rebooted modem again afterwards. It restarted with 54Mbps.
  8. Checked that band steering was disabled (not sure of impact of this?)
  9. Checked and PMF was already ‘off’.
  10. Disconnected all modems. The modem shows devices connected such as Samsung phones and tablets. All have been clearly disconnected from the modem for five hours. Yet the internet has been off now for 45 minutes.
  11. Checked on log of modem and no entries that explain the lack of internet (?)
  12. Changed port on modem from 2 to 1. No change.
  13. Checked the connection signs on modem and all showing green ticks.
  14. No Internet connection also with PC or wifi connected Samsung devices.
  15. Clicked restart device. Still no internet.
  16. Turned power off for both Arris modem and Arcadyan modem and internet connection is back on at 54Mbps. Around two hours offline this time.
Highlighted

5. probably need to run a bit longer in this mode, with or without Speed test to see if the Internet stays up.

6. Were the devices connected by cable or Wi-Fi? Run this test for a longer period.

10. Are the devices connected or disconnected? While the internet is down, but not on 4G backup?

13. All green but no internet?? is this on the SM or the NBN Arris NTD or both? And 4G hasn't kicked in?

There are some discrepancies in those results..  but if the modem works fine in 4G mode for a long period (even a day or more), with all devices connected by Wi-Fi or cable - then I'm leaning towards an NBN issue.. but some of those results conflicy/confuse and muddy the waters a bit.. 

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Next time it happens log into modem and go to Advanced > Diagnostics > Connection and post the results. .Also try doing a trace route to 8.8.8.8.

Does disconnecting Telstra modem from NBN modem and then reconnecting after about a minute restore connection.

Highlighted

Yes, you are correct, there are some discrepancies.

5. Re the Wan (Arris modem direct to the PC) to the PC - this may be risky for a long period - viruses? 

6. All use wifi but were not connected - all disconnected. The internet still crashed. I have come to the conclusion that the devices are unlikely to be the problem.

13. Yes, this is the variable which bothered me. If the Arcaydan modem says the internet is 100% OK then clearly it must be the passing through of the connection where the problem lies? Is there a component in the modem that could be faulty?

Which brings me to the question that Telstra supply the modem but can you use an alternative modem to the Telstra one?

Highlighted

You can use an alternate modem or router. You just need Telstra modem for 4 G backup and phone.

Highlighted

5. Any virus protection you have is likely to be on the PC..  the risk would be more like DDoS  attacks etc. if you have a laptop with not much on it, then use that..  This test, over a longer time would help divide the issue between the NBN service (right up the ethernet cable into the LT and the smart modem.

6. I agree, it seems like it is NOT something you are connecting to the WI-Fi or Ethernet

13. A tricky one, the connection sensing algorithm is not known to me, but I have seen instances where there is just enough of the telltale/ping/heartbeat etc. on the connection from the NBN box **, to convince the modem that the WAN is alive but in actual fact it isn't (in real world terms - internet access is patchy and causes long delays which can look like dropouts). This can be a problem anywhere from the NBN Point of presence to your location and even internally within NBN magic boxes This where a long test while  connected over 4G will show if the modem is generally working as it should - because it takes NBN right out of the picture.

** These instances have required a Telstra or NBN modem replacement (even both), new cables and NBN repair works once the issue was demonstrated to them. Long term tests are the best way to prove things- take notes and photos of light, GUI etc. with times against them.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks all.

Today I have to function and hope the internet stays up, as I have two sessions with obligations to other people to fulfill!!!!

Fault occurred again yesterday mid afternoon and was offline for a few hours.

For the last time, yesterday I tried to get resolution from Telstra Call Centre.

I wanted to make one final attempt before lodging a complaint.

Asked Telstra for a new modem but alas they went over the next 2.5 hours through the same futile process of testing the modem, restarting, checking the phone line etc. etc.

Finished completely exhausted from using the small chat box and trying to explain the futility of the process.

Telstra staff had their feelings hurt when I politely said ‘no the problem has not been fixed unless you have done something this time fresh and new’ because it will recur.

After much discussion back and forth they agreed to send an NBN person to check out next Wednesday afternoon.

However I doubt they will come because I got a message (even whilst I was talking with them) on the chat, saying the matter had been resolved… or such. But they assured me he will.

Thanks for the comment re connecting the Wan cable direct to the PC and I have used a Norton Fire wall for some years on my PC. Today I will connect the cable direct to the PC. Which has raised the thought that could the Norton Firewall have somehow changed in the last few weeks and be stopping the internet? Most people will have fire walls? Is this something which has arisen before to your knowledge?

As for the other much appreciated comments from yesterday I will digest all and try and implement.

Highlighted

And of course as expected I received a text message from Telstra this morning referring me back to the My Telstra app to contact them. The quickest way for troubleshooting they say is via the My Telstra app. Is there any wonder that such animosity and intense dislike of Telstra can exist. That was not a question. 

Highlighted

As your 4G backup seems to work as it should, wouldn't you be better pulling the WAN connection out of the modem and letting it switchover, then run on the backup all day?

Unless you need the addition speed, but your NBN internet is dodgy anyway?

Running n the 4G backup needs to be trialed over a long period anyway, seems this might be the time to test in a real world situation.. Smiley Wink

Stevo 52
Highlighted

To Telstra it would seem to be resolved as they can handball it to NBN..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

So here we are Saturday 17th October. Still no internet (using 4G). i lodged the complaint formally on 5th October using the web site.. Did not get any acknowledgement so managed to get a Telstra employee on the phone who advised me yes they had the complaint and gave me the complaint number. Since the 5th October I have had two auto messages from Telstra. One saying they had to check things out. The second saying they were switching off the internet and reverting to 4G Sim card. Well i was a step ahead of them there. No further responses. I am now investigating alternative internet providers. And people wonder what stress levels are high.......

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more