RC_EL
Level 3: Gumshoe

Linking Netgear Nighthawk R7000P and Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Hello all, this has been asked before and i have tried the solutions given, however i have not been able to succeed. I am trying to connect my Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 to my Netgear Nighthawk R7000P. I have recently moved to the NBN from cable. All i am trying to do is connect the modems so that i can connect my landline. As per a previous solution offered i have connected the WAN port of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 to a LAN port on the Netgear Nighthawk R7000P. I have removed the SIM card from the Telstra modem and also switched off the WIFI. The phone light is not coming on at the back of the modem. Any suggestions as to what i could try? Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
31 REPLIES 31
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Linking Netgear Nighthawk R7000P and Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

You should be able to do what you want.

The SIM card in the Smart Modem 2 doesn't have to be taken out though - you need it for 4 G back up.

There are a couple of ways to do what you want..  but first some details please..

- What sort of NBN service do you have?

- How have you connected the NBN to the Nighthawk?

- What model of Smart Modem 2 is it? (label on the bottom)

- have you made any changes to IP ranges, DGHCP and the like, in either modem?

- Is your internet working via the Nighthawk other than the phone line?

- What indicators are showing on the router, NBN and Smartmodem?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you disabled SIP ALG?

https://kb.netgear.com/30796/How-do-I-disable-SIP-ALG-on-my-NETGEAR-device-using-the-router-web-inte...

You can leave SIM in modem to give a backup service if main link goes down.

RC_EL

@SteveW_52 

- What sort of NBN service do you have? - Hope i answer this correctly however i think the answer is HFC (is that the answer you looking for?)

- How have you connected the NBN to the Nighthawk? - cable from the wall to an NBN connection box, then from the NBN connection box a LAN cable to the internet port of the Nighthawk Modem (same way it was connected when i had cable connection previously).

- What model of Smart Modem 2 is it? (label on the bottom) - Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup. 

- have you made any changes to IP ranges, DGHCP and the like, in either modem? No

- Is your internet working via the Nighthawk other than the phone line? Yes internet working.

- What indicators are showing on the router, NBN and Smartmodem?

1. NBN Connection Box (Power, Downstream, Upstream and Online indications all on and solid).

2. Telstra Smart Modem, on the front (green light on, solid not flickering), at the back only the Online and WAN/DSL lights on (solid not flickering)

3. Nighthawk - Power(light on not flickering), Internet (light is on and flickering), 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi (both on and flickering), WiFi On/Off (light on not flickering), WPS (light on not flickering), Ethernet ports 1 - 4 (all on) Port 1 is the one where the Telstra modem is connected. 

cf4

One other thing I forgot to mention was initially the smart modem has to be connected directly to NBN NTD untill the voip has been configured indicated by phone light turning green. Leave for about 5 minutes and then replace telstra modem with night hawk and connect as you previously had connected the smart modem and night hawk.

SteveW_52

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup.

There are two models - Technicolor DJA 0231 and Arcadyan LH1000  not a lot of difference between the two other than the GUI.

The advice from @cf4  regarding allowing the Smart Modem time, connected to the NBN to register the phoneline is a good suggestion, as is the SIP ALG setting. Did you have the modem in that configuration initially, before swapping the netgear in? The Smart Modem 2 might reset a few times when first connected to the NBN, firmware updates might occur, so it is best to leave it there for a while to get all that over and done with so you don't disconnect in the middle of something by mistake.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
RC_EL

@cf4 

Yes i had the Telstra Smart Modem connected initially to the NBN NTD and the phone line worked. It was after this that i connected the Nighthawk to the NBN NTD. 

I disabled the SIP ALG as you suggested and that resulted in the Phone LED on the Telstra Modem coming on (Orange), left it for over an hour and still no change, so partly successful. So now to get the Phone LED to turn green.

Do you think switching all the modems / routers  off and back on will help?

RC_EL

I inserted the SIM card back into the Modem and as soon as i did that the Phone LED turned green and the Phone line is working.

So thank you all for you help and assistance.

cf4

I think you will need to connect the modem directly to the NTD again and once phone led turns green disconnect modem from NTD, connect Nighthawk to NTD and Telstra modem to Nighthawk. The light should stay green now that SIP ALG is disabled.

RC_EL

@@stevW_52 and @cf4

So a few days ago thge landline stopped working, the phone light at the back of the Telstra modem is off. No changes made to settings. Any suggestions as to the issue?

I did connect the Telstra modem directly to the NTD and waited till the phone light came on and then swapped around (Nighthawk to the NTD and Telstra modem to the Nighthawk)

RC_EL

SteveW_52

Are you saying that since the phone line stopped working a few days ago, you have tried connecting the Smart Modem directly to the the NTD again? and then switched it back to the NTD > Netgear > Smart Modem arrangement again?

Stevo 52
cf4

It looks like the phone was working of the modems 4G backup which due to prolonged usage has no been disabled. I didn't see you previous post about inserting SIM card as it was just before might last post. If I had I would have warned that this could happen.

When the Telstra modem is connected to the R7000 LAN port and SIM card is removed is WAN / DSL and online lights green?  

RC_EL

@SteveW_52

Yes, that' s what i did (connected the Smart Modem directly to the the NTD again, and then switched it back to the NTD > Netgear > Smart Modem arrangement again)

RC_EL

@cf4

Yes lights are green when Sim Card is removed.

cf4

Which model modem do you have (LH1000 or DJA0231).

Was phone light green when connected directly to NTD?

Could you post the modem's Broadband page when Smart modem is connected to LAN port of R7000?

RC_EL

@cf4

Which model modem do you have (LH1000 or DJA0231). - I have the LH1000

Was phone light green when connected directly to NTD? - Yes

Could you post the modem's Broadband page when Smart modem is connected to LAN port of R7000? - Sorry not quite sure what you asking? 

cf4

With LH1000 connected to a LAN port of R7000, log into the modem on a device connected to Telstra modem and go to the Broadband settings. Take a image using Snipping app, save image, upload image and post in a reply.

RC_EL

@cf4 

Hope this is the correct screenshot?

cf4

I can't quiet make out from the image but the DNS server looks like it is set to 0.0.0.0. If it is then that could be causing the problem.

cf4

On closer inspection it is only the second DNS that has all zeros. That should not cause any problems. Everything looks Okay except the modem doesn't have an IPv6 address. Is LAN IPv6 enabled in the R7000 LAN settings?

RC_EL

@cf4 

IPv6 was not enabled, however i did subsequently enable it.

cf4

Does the modem now have a IPv6 address and is phone working? If modem has IPv6 address but phone not working could you check the modem's firmware which is displayed on the LHS of modem's login page? Latest version is 0.12.15r.

The modem's log will also give an indication why the phone is not working. Filter the log by VOIP and post a few of the events with the phone number deleted.

RC_EL

@cf4 

Telstra modem is on the latest software

VoIP log below

cf4

What DNSs are used in the R7000 Internet settings? If they have been left blank try setting to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

RC_EL

@cf4 

DNS not blank on the R7000. the "Get Automatically from ISP" is selected, and there are values in the Primary and Secondary DNS fields, neither is 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

cf4

Those numbers would be Telstras DNSs. You could try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if it makes a difference.

RC_EL

@cf4 

Not able to change the DNS as is have the Circle with Disney Parental Control enabled.

Mkrtich

Hi - it looks like something in the Netgear is preventing the IPV6 IP Address of the Telstra Modem to participate in the VoIP registration with the Telstra's SIP Server.  With my Arcadyan directly connected to the NBN HFC modem, the 'IPV6 address' shown in Advanced/Internet/Internet Access folio  is also assigned to the Log entry for SIP registration - it is the first IPv6 Address , yours shows an IPv4 address and this would explain why the SIP registration failed. When on 4G BackUp the IPV6 function activated successfully. 

A second IPV6 address, the URI SIP, should appear in the same log file entry line following your telephone number as that is your telephone service identity. The Netgear has two IPV6 entries - one for the WAN side and the other for the LAN side - I am not sure what the LAN side setting does - it may influence the client function which in your case is the Telstra modem. 

cf4

@Mkrtich 

When there is only an IPv4 address on the WAN the modem reverts to IPv4 for the VOIP.

@RC_EL 

It looks like the Disney Circle parental controls are blocking Telstra's VOIP server.

I am not familiar with Disney Circle but you might be able to set up an exemption for the VOIP service using the IP address in the first event of the image (58.162.37.246).

Mkrtich

Good to know and thanks for clarification. I had assumed since it was IPV6 on direct connection to the internet and on 4G Back Up it would be also be so for cascaded modem configurations with self generated and pass through IPV6 addresses. Didn't realise it would work for IPV4, but I now see that the URI SIP shown in the post displays as an IPV4 address with DNS as the suspect. 

RC_EL

@cf4 

Update : I had a NBN  technician at my home today to check my installation, apparently there was an issue with my speed that was picked up by Telstra. a rusting plug / connector was changed in the outside box and the technician came in to check the internal cabling and test the speed. Whilst the technician was here we changed the configuration to  NBN NTD >> Telstra Smart Modem >> Nighthawk, and my home phone is working as well as the Nighthawk, so all is good for now. I turned off the Wifi on the Telstra Smart modem. 

Keeping fingers crossed this continues to work in this set-up.

Thank you @cf4  and @SteveW_52  for your help.

SteveW_52

Thanks for the update..

The NTD > SM2 > 3rd Party router is my preference in these configuration, it leaves all the Telstra/NBN infrastructure in place as per the Telstra intent. anything outboard (or downstream) of the SM2 is then clearly the clients equipment and easily disconnected for testing.

Glad it is all working for you..

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more