aussie_max
Level 1: Cadet

lost 2.4GHZ signal on new Smart Gen 2

A year ago I was having issues and couldn't find the 2.4GHz frequency. Telstra sent me a new router, the Smart Gen 2 one, and it's worked. That is, until a few days ago.

Again, it's gone! My doorbell isn't working, and a few lights have stopped too. I've turned band steering 'off/unticked', and changed the names of the 2 networks to -2.4GHz and -5GHz so I can search for them. Looking on my iPhone in wi-fi, and also searching through the Airport utility Wi-Fi scanner, no sign of it.

I've done reset after reset, and nothing.

Should I be calling Telstra and asking for a 3rd new router?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: lost 2.4GHZ signal on new Smart Gen 2

Please contact Telstra Support and tell them the testing that you have done.

aussie_max

don't even start me on that one!!  They're trying to make my life so difficult!

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Aussie_Max. 

Open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1.

The default username and password is either Admin / Telstra or admin / telstra (lower case) 
Go to WiFi settings, then find the "WiFi channel selection" setting. Change this from whatever it is set to currently to the other setting, either 2.4 or 5Ghz and save this.

Then go back and try to connect your devices again and see if you can get them on the Wifi connection.

Click on the 5ghz tab, and there should be a tick box at the top with "Enabled" to swap over from the currently enabled 2.4ghz connection. 

The modem is dual band but by default has band steering enabled which results in both the WiFi bands having the same SSID. Disabling band steering will result in -5G being added to the end of the normal SSID and your PC should now see two different SSIDs broadcast by the modem, one for each WiFi Band. If you don’t see the normal SSID but only the normal SSID with -5G added to the end, then the 2.4 GHz band is faulty and you'll need another modem. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

smd1200

I am having the same issue. My 2.4 GHz signal has disappeared on two different Telstra Smart Modems. One of my computers can only connect to 2.4 GHz signals, so it cannot connect to the internet.

I do not see any "WiFi channel selection" setting in my Telstra Smart Modem. Also, by WiFi settings I assume you just mean WiFi, because I can't see anything called WiFi settings either.

I have turned off band steering and I cannot see the 2.4 GHz signal, only the 5GHz signal. The same thing happened on my last Telstra Smart Modem as well.

TanashaM
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there, are you having the same issues on the same device aussie_max was using, the smart gen 2 modem? If you are and you have disabled the band steering, this would usually mean you would see two different SSIDs broadcast by the modem, one for each WiFi Band. If you're still only seeing one of these after disabling band steering then there may be a problem we would need to look into further. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more