Chillies
Level 2: Rookie

M1 Nighthawk Battery Issues, again....

I posted about this a year or so ago, https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/nighthawk-m1-battery-issue/m-p/771428#M40418.

The same issue yet again, the battery is at the point of blowing up and swelled beyond repair, not sure what the issue is with these batteries or if they are made out of cheap materials, but I'm not sure I'm keen to do a recall every year.

The power pack is not capable of running the modem without a battery, is it possible to get a power pack to just power the modem when I want to use it and throw the battery away?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: M1 Nighthawk Battery Issues, again....

Swelling batteries are not safe - they can self combust so you should replace it, disposing of it safely in a way that will not cause a fire later..  I have recently experienced such a battery issue and it was scary!

But a battery issue like that would indicate a possible power issue. Is your mains supply stable? Do you have other electrical failures?

Other posters have indicated that they usually run that model modem without a battery, just running off USB or charger power. A couple have also pointed out that they use a UPS to clean up the power supply, which is a good thing for most electrical items like TV, computers, network stuff but not stoves toasters, jugs etc.

Just an idea, but you could try running the modem off a 'Power Bank' with a USB from the power bank to the modem..  I have done that in the past in remote locations where power was not always available.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello ...

Netgear batteries are "famous"  for swelling, and as they are lithium, should be treated with great caution.

Best thing is to remove it when you get the modem and use the modem on the AC pack.

Amazingly, Netgear do not even offer replacement batteries.

I have a Nighthawk and 3 Advanced 111 modems, and I have removed the batteries for all 4.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Chillies
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for feedback guys.

I have tried running the modem on the mains with the power pack supplied, but it does not power the modem. The battery needs to be in the modem to run, and the power supply still charges it, just doesn't supply enough power to power the modem with no battery installed.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello again, Jaycar have a multitude of plug-pack power supplies. 

I believe yours is 2 A

Take yours in and get a larger output mains charger, at least 2.4 Amp which will prevent re-booting.

Alternative

Battery World have replacement  batteries:   https://www.batteryworld.com.au/Battery-for-Netgear-Nighthawk-M1

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more