Level 1: Cadet

Modem Blue Light

Answered

Hi I have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with a FTTN connection. My incoming (from street) connection is a blue cat 5e cable. Where does this connect i.e WAN?, LAN 1? etc or do I need a converter to connect to the DSL phone line?? I currently have a BLUE light not green.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem Blue Light

Yes - FTTN uses the DSL port with the supplied telephone cable connected to the wall outlet. ADSL line splinters are available from online retailers or stores and Bunnings - just make sure they have packers in their sockets. If you know someone who had ADSL check with them as you generally get one included with older modems which may be spare now.

WAN port is used for NBN HFC modem connection. FTTP and Velocity also connect to the WAN of their respective NCDs. FTTB uses DSL port and FTTC uses telephone cable to the white NBN NCD which then interconnects to the WAN port of the modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have FTTN you connect the DSL port of the modem to the phone socket. You will find a normal RJ11/12 phone plug will fit a RJ45 socket. When a RJ11/12 plug is used only the inner four electrical contacts of the RJ45 socket. If the RJ45 socket has been wired correctly these contacts should connect to node.

Hi thanks, however I have an incoming data cable cat5 not a typical phone cable. Do I need to get a converter?

Hi - you won't need a converter. If you have a remnant ADSL Line Splitter - they have RJ45 sockets but have packers installed inside the sockets to make an RJ11/RJ12 plug fit snuggly into them without falling out. Remove one of the plastic packers that sits inside either end of the Line Splitter sockets - it will be grey or black and insert it into your wall socket and your telephone cable will sit solidly in there. 

Hi I dont have a remnant ADSL socket. What I am trying to determine first is:

1. Does the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 in a FTTN connection need to be connected via the DSL Phone line port in the back of the modem

2. or can I connect incoming cable via the WAN or LAN ports??

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Yes - FTTN uses the DSL port with the supplied telephone cable connected to the wall outlet. ADSL line splinters are available from online retailers or stores and Bunnings - just make sure they have packers in their sockets. If you know someone who had ADSL check with them as you generally get one included with older modems which may be spare now.

WAN port is used for NBN HFC modem connection. FTTP and Velocity also connect to the WAN of their respective NCDs. FTTB uses DSL port and FTTC uses telephone cable to the white NBN NCD which then interconnects to the WAN port of the modem.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more