Jenkram
Level 1: Cadet

Modem fails to provide dhcp ip address to laptop

I have a Windows 8 laptop that is failing to connect properly to my telstra smart modem. Over wifi the laptop can detect and connect to the wireless network. Although the network connection is limited. 

The modem is successfully connected to the internet, as all other devices can load/ping google etc

When I type ipconfig in the cmd. The modem has not provided my laptop a ip address. My neighbour has the same wifi router and the behaviour is the same. 

My laptop can successfully connect and access the internet via my phone hotspot or a separate exetel router.

It seems there is an issue connecting this laptop to the telstra smart modem.

What I've tried

• Restart modem
  • Restart laptop
  • Reset network setup on laptop
  • Windows updates
  • Update drivers
  • Uninstall and reinstall drivers
  • Delete DNS cache
  • Set static ip address on ipv4

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Modem fails to provide dhcp ip address to laptop

I'd suggest not setting a static ip until you know the ethernet connection is working properly..

You haven't mentioned it in your list but I would assume you have tried different ethernet cables and different ports on the modem?

Do other devices connect OK by ethernet? Try that/those ports with your laptop..

Do you have a USB to Ethernet adapter to try? That would help prove if the laptop LAN port itself is faulty.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

Just to clarify, the issues that you are experiencing are using a WiFi connection?.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you are connecting by Wi-Fi try disabling protected management frames (Wi-Fi PMF) in the modem's advanced Wi-Fi settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more