Voltage
Level 1: Cadet

Modem keeps rebooting DSL disconnected

My modem keeps rebooting I've gone in the HTTP://mymodem and everything is green except for the DSL which says is disconnected. When it reboots it's down for 5 minutes before it's back up but even then I may get 15 minutes tops before it crashes again.

It's so annoying and now it's affecting my schooling. I'm currently doing an online course and it disconnects in the middle of it so I lose vital information.

Anyway the firmware is 18.1.c.0585-MR7.1-RA and the modem make model is technicolor DJA0231

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
OllieW
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Modem keeps rebooting DSL disconnected

Hi Voltage, is this still giving you trouble? If it is might be best to take it in store for a look over, if it's busted we'll replace it for you Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

If you unplug the cable from the DSL port and wait a few minutes, the modem should switch over to 4G backup mode (blue light on the front). If you do that, does the modem then stay stable with no reboots and an active internet service?

This should happen automatically when an NBN internet service fault is detected but sometimes the nature of the fault (intermittent especially) doesn't get detected properly. Pulling the cable forces the changeover

In 4G mode the data rate will be lower, (not ideal for streaming etc.) but should at least be stable. You can then report the fault  to Telstra..

You can also do dome troubleshooting (you will need to reconnect the DSL first and let the modem switch back) then visit https://fix.telstra.com/ and follow the steps..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I didn't realise a Telstra  Store had the ability or authority to replace a suspected faulty modem - is there a new procedure in place since Telstra purchased all the 150+ Stores back from the previous owner?

Do the Stores now have a Service Section that can deal with these matters? It would certainly improve the otherwise tedious and sad experiences that some of our fellow customers have had to put up with dealing with underqualified overseas Call Centres.  

Voltage
Level 1: Cadet

it works from time to time but every now and again it just keeps rebooting it might be defective but i don't know much about the modems

Mkrtich

Hi - If you wish to know more about the modem, I have taken the liberty of posting the link for essential reading -  @cf4 's legendary Unofficial User Manual for the Technicolor DJA0231 - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-smartmodem-gen-2-technicolor-version-... 

I would encourage you continue to liaise with Telstra so that they can remotely diagnose and rectify this problem. Having some knowledge of the modem's functions may assist you in dealing with Telstra.  

Section 26 covers DSL Diagnosis Screens and Fault Logs which will show a healthy DSL Service, an unhealthy DSL Service with graphical representations and how to spot interruptions on your WAN DSL service in the Log entries. This may help you in dealings with Telstra - at the moment you don't know if it is the NBN DSL Equipment or the Modem or a connection in the street pit connections or cabling to the local FTTN Node. If you have another compatible modem which you can substitute for the DJA0231 and it remains stable , you could reasonably assume it is the modem at fault.  

Just to make sure if no WiFi device is inadvertently causing disconnections with incompatibility through a setting in the 2.4 Ghz screen called Protected Management Frames, try turning that OFF and SAVE. 

Open web browser, enter 192.168.0.1 , User ID = admin, Default Password = Telstra, Advanced Options Icon, WiFi Tile, 2.4 Ghz Page. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more