Boomdib
Level 1: Cadet

Modem not blocking desktop from accessing internet

Long story short, my brother wakes up the whole house when he games at 2am in the morning. I set parental controls on the modem to block him from 10pm. It worked for a couple days and now it allows him access past 10. I checked the modem time and date, I checked the parental controls and they’re still there. What do I do now? I am back to sleepless nights!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Modem not blocking desktop from accessing internet

How is the device connected? cable? wi-fi? both wi-fi channels? you might need to block all mac addresses on his device? Are you sure he is running the game online?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Boomdib
Level 1: Cadet

It is connected via Ethernet cable. He is definitely gaming online as he is talking to his friends over mic too 

what did you mean all Mac addresses? 
I blocked the desktop one, forgive my ignorance but there may be another? I cross checked the MAC address to the one I blocked and it’s exactly the same 

SteveW_52

There will be a MAC address (maybe 2) for Wi-Fi as well

Depending which modem you have, you should be able to able to see connected devices in the Device List.. as a MAC address. You could also use a Network Analyser app on a mobile device - Fing etc. that will tell you the same thing..

Have you power cycled the modem at all, which would set all the rules up again.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If your son is using a PC he can change the the MAC address via the properties settings in the ethernet adapter to bypass the parental time controls. There is no real way around this apart from making his user account on the desktop a non admin user to prevent if modifying the MAC address of the PCs adapter.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more