Mouma
Level 2: Rookie

Modem Resets around 4pm daily

Answered

Hi There, i've had this issue for a while like last 2months and tried to look at what is causing this, done resets check the log but it keeps re-setting around 4pm daily just the modem not the Nbn box. It's annoying as when this happens it knocks out the vpn and i have to do a reboot on my laptop or what i do now is hotspot with my mobile so that i don't have this issue but doesn't always work as the vpn still drops out. I've had the Telstra modem for around 4yrs and I need this sorted as it's causing headaches. Note I'm not tech savvy on these things but have an understanding. Hope someone can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mouma
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem Resets around 4pm daily

Hi cf4, i've checked the firmware and matches to yours listed. I've just realised that my modem has not restarted today and the more I think about it when my daughter visits she has the mobile and school laptop and that is when it seems to happen, i'm now going to keep an eye on this as I had to think that i've never had any issues before and suddenly and this began to happen. Thanks everyone you've given me some suggestions to work with.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

It might be worth tryin to put the modem into 4G Backup mode, about a half hour before hand and leave it there over the time period?

To switch into 4G Backup, remove the cable from the red WAN or grey DSL port on the modem and wait a few minutes - a steady blue indicator on the front panel will indicate when the switch has occurred. To do out of 4G back up mode, just plug the cable back in and wait a few minutes until you have a steady green indicator.

If you haven't used 4G backup mode before - it may be slower than you are used to and may need a setting changed in the modem to get both ip_V4 and ip_v6 available in LTE mode.. it is the PDP setting on the LTE tab.. set it to IPv4v6  to enable it (don't forget to save the setting..

The aim here is a simple check to see if the daily reset is coming from the NBN internet service, or elsewhere..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

What happens when modem resets? Do the lights on modem change or do you just loose the internet connection temporarily?

If you just lose internet connection you could try changing the LAN lease time in the modem. This is normally set to 24 hours.

If the lights on modem change it could be a device on your network causing modem to reset. Try disconnecting all devices just before modem normally resets and see if it still reboots. If it doesn't reboot try disconnecting only half the devices. If modem still resets try with a quarter of the connected devices and so on until you find device causing reboots. If modem still resets with all devices disconnected try disconnecting modem from NBN box just before normal reset time to check if it is NBN causing modem to reset.

What model modem do you have (F@st5355, TG799, TG800, DJN2130, DJA0230.....)?

Mouma

Hi cf4, Modem model is DJA0230, i've only got my mobile and laptop connected to the wifi, no much really. I'll disconnect my mobile and see what happens. I never had this issue before but now it's a daily affair. Thanks for your advice.

Mouma

Hi Stevo 52, I've read you post and thanks but i'm not comfortable with what you're asking as i'm not that tech savvy and knowing my luck i'll short something and blow the Modem. Lol.

cf4

I had a similar problem to this on my DJA0230. It would reboot at least once every 24 hours. Not at 4.00pm but about 3.00am in the morning. The reboots stopped after modem updated to firmware 20.3.c.0329-MR19-RA. To check firmware version log into modem and go to Advanced > Gateway. 

In that modem the LAN lease time can be change by logging into modem and going to Advanced > Local Network > Lease Time.

SteveW_52

It is just a single cable to unplug...  but if you are not comfortable, that is understandable.

But I am not sure how you will troubleshoot it if you don't want to try things..

Stevo 52
Mouma
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4, i've checked the firmware and matches to yours listed. I've just realised that my modem has not restarted today and the more I think about it when my daughter visits she has the mobile and school laptop and that is when it seems to happen, i'm now going to keep an eye on this as I had to think that i've never had any issues before and suddenly and this began to happen. Thanks everyone you've given me some suggestions to work with.

View solution in original post

Mouma

Hi SteveW_52, thanks for your suggestion i'll take that on board and will look at doing what you mentioned, thank you for the advice.

Mouma

Hi SteveW_52, one more thing I wanted to ask every night when I go to sleep I switch off the powerpoint which has the NBN box and Telstra modem connected as somehow I believe that it's better to start with a fresh link in the morning is that correct, note i've got no idea about these things but seeing that you and cf4 seems quite knowledgeable and thought to ask. Thank you again.

cf4

If it is the laptop causing the modem to reboot you might be able to fix it by updating the laptops WiFi adapter firmware or driver or turning off Protected Management Frames in the modem's Advanced WiFi settings. PMF was added to the Telstra modems a couple of months ago. On some devices that don't support PMF it has caused problems such as rebooting.

SteveW_52

I leave my modem and other network stuff on 24/7 (I have UPS supply for all devices). That's because I do some network stuff overnight. But it's whatever works for you.

Having worked in electronics, telecoms, computing etc. since the late 60's, my general finding is that equipment failures most often occur in the power on/power off situations..  but that's only my experience..

Stevo 52
Mouma

Hi cf4, i've spent a few days monitoring the issue and know what causes the modem to reboot, it's the Samsung A71 mobile phone as i'd tried this and that then i realised once that phone enters my property each week the same thing happens, after school same thing, i've googled solutions and cant find any, therefore I ask do you or anyone here have a suggestion or a fix please?

Mouma

hi Steve W_52, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

cf4

The rebooting might be due to WiFi direct. I don't think it can be turned off on the A71 but you might have another device with WiFi direct that the phone tries to connect to. Check that WiFi direct is not enabled on any other devices such as PC's or TV. WiFi direct can be disabled on PC's and TVs.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more