tanveerdar
Level 1: Cadet

My P2PWIFICAM stopped getting feed from internet using Telstra Smart modem

Answered

I recently got Telstra smart modem gen2 with nbn and I was running my P2PWIFICAM on it for remote visibility suddenly it stopped from internet while in local lan can works fine.

I doubt that Telstra modem or Telstra is blocking this type of traffic , can anyone has similar experience with telstra or any other kind of Wifi based cams like Arlo , Arlo Pro ? or any leads how to solve this problem as Telstra support is pretty pathetic 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: My P2PWIFICAM stopped getting feed from internet using Telstra Smart modem

There are two methods used to provide remote access to an IP camera.

In the first method the camera connects to central server and you access the camera by a client which access the camera via the central server. Set up usually involves entering an ID number or scanning a barcode.

The second method there is no central server and the client connects directly to the camera. This is much harder to set up as ports have to be open-end on the modem or router to allow access. You also have to know the public IP address of the modem or router which can change. A dynamic DNS service can be used to overcome the problem of a changing IP address. With dynamic DNS a URL can be set up that always gets updated with public IP address of the camera.

If your camera's client for viewing the camera uses the first method no port forwarding has to be set up. The lack of remote access could be due to the central server being down or your account with the company that runs the central server being disabled.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4

Is the front light on the modem, green or blue?

tanveerdar

green

cf4

I had the same problem several years ago with Office one IP900 IP camera's that use the P2PIPCAM android app. They worked for a while and then could no longer connect remotely. The cameras no longer were supported by the manufacturer who closed the central server, Fortunately open some ports on the modem and able to access cameras remotely bypassing the central server. Instead of using the camera ID to set up the remote client the WAN address of the modem plus the port used by camera is used.

tanveerdar

Hi 

You mean forwarding ports I have done a scan and I see 80 , 23 and some 10080 port open on can do you know what protocol these kind of cams use ? 

Regards

cf4

Port 80 and 23 usually use TCP.  Not sure which protocol 10080. The camera manual should show which ports and which protocols are used by the camera.

Jupiter

Port 10080 usually uses UDP. It is the Amanda Protocol which is used in the Security API for establishing a secure connection with the device.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
tanveerdar

So I guess I have to port forward that in Telstra smart modem just wondering how it was working without that earlier

cf4
Accepted Solution

There are two methods used to provide remote access to an IP camera.

In the first method the camera connects to central server and you access the camera by a client which access the camera via the central server. Set up usually involves entering an ID number or scanning a barcode.

The second method there is no central server and the client connects directly to the camera. This is much harder to set up as ports have to be open-end on the modem or router to allow access. You also have to know the public IP address of the modem or router which can change. A dynamic DNS service can be used to overcome the problem of a changing IP address. With dynamic DNS a URL can be set up that always gets updated with public IP address of the camera.

If your camera's client for viewing the camera uses the first method no port forwarding has to be set up. The lack of remote access could be due to the central server being down or your account with the company that runs the central server being disabled.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more