Cruza09
Level 1: Cadet

My ‘Smart’ Modem doesn’t switch to the Mobile network when it goes down

I have had issues with my wifi/modem for 12+ months now. I now have a Smart Modem that states when it cannot connect via NBN it will via the Mobile network. This hasn’t happened to date. Is there another step I need to do?? Any help appreciated!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: My ‘Smart’ Modem doesn’t switch to the Mobile network when it goes down

There are no settings required in the modem for 4G back up to work. The modem should fall over to 4 G backup 4.5 minutes after main link fails. Is the mobile signal light on the back of the modem green, orange, red or off. Which version of the smart modem do you have. There a two a Technicolor one DJA0231 which has vent holes in the side panels and a Arcadyan one LH1000 which has no vent holes.

Cruza09
Level 1: Cadet

No vents on the side. Signal light is usually orange unless it’s offline then its red.

cf4

I assumed you had the smart modem Gen 2 looks like you have a smart modem Gen 1. To check if Backup is working as it should log into the modem and go to Advanced > Mobile.

On the Configuration page Enabled should be on and Status should show as Disconnected.

On the Diagnostics tab Network Status should be shown as Registered.

The backup only operates if the actual link fails. There are certain situation were you might lose the internet due to network fault but the link doesn't fail so modem doesn't switch to backup. You can test the backup by either disconnecting the modem's DSL port (DSL connections FTTN/B or ADSL) or the modem's WAN port (All othr types of connections). If modem does fall over to 4G backup after 4.5 minutes (Online light turning purple) then there is fault with the backup and you should contact support.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more