Level 1: Cadet

NBN and Wifi

I connected to NBN 2 months ago had box installed to my cable and new Telstra Modem Gen 2.  In that time always had problems with wifi going in and out, every hour wifi going off.  Modem sits in bedroom and that is where the cable is for NBN to connect to, so everything else in house is off wifi, not a big house, so distance not a problem.  Last week that Telstra modem just refused to work, no power, so after 5 days have just received new Gen 2 modem.  My thought was maybe first modem was faulty thats why wifi kept going out, but low and behold same thing is happening with this new modem.  The only thing connected to modem is the NBN box and one ethernet cable that is connected to Netcomm router to that it syncs up to my Foxtel in the other room.  Can anyone help with why wifi keeps going out. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN and Wifi

Is it just the wifi dropping off, or is the modem losing power completely?

If it is losing power completely, I'd be getting your power socket checked out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is the WiFi signal boing off or are you losing th ed connection to the internet on WiFi connected devices?

Do you still have internet access on the foxtel box that is connected to th e netcom router?

What version off the Gen 2 modem do you have?. There are two versions Arcdyan LH1000 and Technicolor DJA0231. The Arcadyan modem if not updated with lagest software 07.05r is no to have problems with device connected to modem losing internet connection. Can check firmware by logging in to modem http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra) and going to Advanced 》 Info summary.

The netgear router could be causing WiFi interference, why not connect foxtel directly to Telsra modem?

Just the wi.fi is dropping off, cuts about for about 5 minutes or so, then comes back on.

Hi

Just checked and it is the Technicolor modem.

Re router, could be that.  For 2 months I have been trying had calls going backwards and forwards with Telstra tech support asking the same question with the question being, nbn box was set up in bedroom on the cable where my old modem was originally set up.  Being in there obviously I cannot connect the Foxtel as Foxtel box in lounge room.  My question to Telstra which every time I got someone different they could never answer the question, you might be able to help is : there is another cable connection where my Foxtel is obviously connected to run off cable.  Can I move my nbn box to this cable using a splitter that way I would I could directly hook up ethernet from Foxtel into the modem?  Or does someone from NBN have to come out and hook it up?  That has been my ongoing question which I never get an answer for!

I have not had much experience with cable NBN so I can't give yku a definite answere. If you were using a splitter before you transfered to NBN there would be no harm in trying connecting the NBN box to the same cable socket as the TV. using the splitter.

Support Team
Support Team

There's some great troubleshooting (I you haven't already tried everything!) here https://tel.st/nd5py

Alternately call NBN tech support 1800 834 273 & have them look into this further .

Let me know how you get on

-Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more