Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Black Box and Telstra Cable Adaptor

Answered

Hi All I have signed up for and NBN plan which will be active on Tuesday. I received the Telstra Cable Adaptor (Modem) and the Telstra Smart Modem 2nd gen (Router) a few weeks ago. My 2 questions are: 1. Can I install this myself on Monday and use the 4G network on the sim in the Router for internet access 2. Do I need the NBN black box (modem) or is the Telstra Cable Adaptor the same thing? Thanks Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Black Box and Telstra Cable Adaptor

Thanks cf4. That has been extremely helpful! I will wait till Tuesday then and hopefully fingers crossed it all goes well and I will be up and running on the NBN.

Take Care

Ray

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

You will need the NBN modem. The Telstra cable adaptor is not the same as the NBN modem.

Highlighted

Hi cf4

Thanks so much.Ok that is great to know. Does the NBN tech install it or can I do it? I have seen the youtube video on the NBN website and it looks relatively straight forward. Also what do I do with the Telstra Cable Adaptor (Telstra modem)? Is that just a spare? I am assuming the NBN Black Box goes directly to my Telstra Smart Modem (Router).

Thanks

Ray

Highlighted

The cable adapter is not needed for NBN connection. The Telstra Smart modem connects directly to NBN modem. The Telstra cable adapter is provided so that you can use the smart modem with your existing cable connection while waiting to be transferred to NBN. Although theoretically a simple process of rSometimes besides installing the NBN modemeplacing your existing modem with the cable The NBN black box does connect directly to your modem.adapter and Telstra modem the cable adapter's MAC has to be registered for internet to work. Due to COVID-19 many people have had trouble doing this so I don't advice using the Telstra Smart modem on your existing connection if you are transferring to NBN on Tuesday.

Sometimes the Technician needs to do extra work cabling work at your premises. There might be extra work required at your premises that could be the reason a Technician is being sent to install the modem.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks cf4. That has been extremely helpful! I will wait till Tuesday then and hopefully fingers crossed it all goes well and I will be up and running on the NBN.

Take Care

Ray

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more