Archie2017
Level 1: Cadet

NBN box delays and backup modem

Firstly, Telstra Chat is useless and inconsistent messages about NBN box delays. Over a month ago I placed a new NBN order after moving into new house. Modem arrived but no NBN box. After lots of conflicting stories it seems:

a) NBN boxes are delayed until May/June because the silicon chip used in them is manufactured in Japan. This manufacturing is on hold because of Covid and none are being imported to Aust with no timeframe.

b) Modem works in backup mode on 4G but is limited to 10GB a month. I use this roughly in a week and every week I ring/use chat and have to spend most of a day with messages back and forth (response time is about an hour per message from Telstra chat agents). And every week I have to go through the same arguments, they never read chat history! And after repeating myself over and over they ‘reset’ the modem with another 10GB. They tell

me it’s impossible to increase this and make it unlimited until box arrives and that every Saturday (until potentially June) I should contact Telstra to get another 10GB. The connections team even gave me a number to ring and say ‘check connection’ What a joke, all that does is send me an SMS link to self help tools and says thanks and hangs up on me. It’s almost impossible to actually speak to someone.

c) I have an NBN box from an old address (I dodn’t know these ‘belonged’ at addresses and similarly whoever was at my current address last has obviously taken their NBN box. I was basically admonished by the connections guy and told to take my NBN box back to the old address when I asked why can’t you just code this box somehow to work at this address.

What a joke. Anyone else having same issue after recently signing up to NBN with Telstra?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN box delays and backup modem

What type of NBN connection are you supposed to be on (FTTN, FTTB, FTTC, FTTP, HFC, FW)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Archie2017

I don’t know that detail Jupiter?

Jupiter

Go to https://nbnco.com.au and enter your address. It will tell you the technology type being used.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Archie2017

Thanks Jupiter, it’s HFC

Jupiter

Unfortunately you are a bit stuck. The NBN NTDs are supplied by NBN Co, so going with another provider will most likely leave you in the same situation.

And yes, the NTDs stay with the property, not the person. NBN Co really should get that printed in big letters on them.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more