Frustrated138
Level 3: Gumshoe

Nbn Box

Answered

I am told my NBN services is working. I have had 7 technicians attend my property who report that everything is working. After all these visits the NBN box on light is blue and the connection light is always flashing blue which it has been doing for about  15 hours. The dsl and lan lights are not even on. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Nbn Box

The Telstra support codi-idiots don't like escalating anything, because it affects their KPI's..  every fasiling on their part shout result in a complaint, so their performance can be properly recorded..  always try and get references during a chat, the CSR's name and even screenshots of the chats, so you can include them on the complaint.. the actual techs are a whole different issue - both NBN and Telstra seem to be more concerned about spending minimal time (except the NBN ones just don't turn up most of the time) on site, rather than making sure a fault is fixed - the current spread of responsibility between NBN and Telstra seems unworkable..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
SteveW_52

When you talk about the 'NBN' box do you refer to a device that then is connected to your Telstra modem..  or are you referring to the the Telstra modem itself?

Stevo 52
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

I assume you have a FTTC connection. Did the Technician check the output from the NBN box? The flashing connection light and DSL being off indicates a fault with either the NBN box, NBN DPU in the street or the cable from the DPU in the street to your phone socket. 

Frustrated138

Yes have FTTC. can you please tell me what’s a DPU. One of the technicians told the distance from the pit outside to the cable is a long distance away- which I assume is connected to a DPU. Telstra staff has tested the the modem so many times. At the moment the modem is running on 4g for nearly a day now as the connection light on the NBN box connected to the wall  is just flashing on and off with a clicking noise. The DSL and LAN blue lights are not even on

Frustrated138

Yes it’s the nbn box that connects to the cable socket on the wall and to the seperate Telstra modem. The nbn box tells me what’s the filber ro the curve is doing and what’s the nbn cable is doing- connection etc

cf4

DPU is the distribution point unit and would be located in the pit. The DPU is connected by optical fibre to the NBN network and has.four DTL ports that are connected using the exiting copper cable pairs to four premises.

The connection light on the DPU should be a steady blue. If it flashes or is red the reverse power feed is not working. The DSL light should also be a steady blue. The connection light flashing and the DSL light off both indicate a NBN fault and I don't understand how the NBN technician could say there is nothing wrong.

The. LAN light should also be a steady blue or flashing indicating connection to modem's WAN port is Okay.

Frustrated138

Thank you so much for your advice. The last technician that came took the wire out from the wall connection, tested the system then came back drilled a hole in my wall without advising me and the proceeded to attach another wall socket on the top of the old plate and connect the cable from the wall socket to the nbn box.

Left and did not explain the work he did. Appalling work. 

SteveW_52

Thanks for clarifying..  people can, and do, get mixed up with devices..  which isn't helped by devices having similar indicators..

If you have a Smart Modem 2, if the WAN isn't properly detected, the modem should switch over to 4G Backup mode..  solid blue light on the front of the modem. If that isn't happening the modem might not be detecting the loss of WAN correctly - take the cable out of the red WAN port or grey DSL port to force the switchover and get a reduced form of internet. It can take a few minutes to switch over. If you have a home phone service with your plan, that should work on 4G as well..

Stevo 52
Frustrated138

Thanks Steve that’s exactly what’s hapenned the 4g has been on for 20 hours and the NBN blue light for power is on, the connection light is flashing blue, the blue dsl and lan not on, 

I have being telling the 13 Telstra staff I have been in contact over the last month about the problems by messaging on the Telstra app. So frustrating and hard to get it elevated to the next level.

cf4

If you haven't already suggest you lodge a complaint. There are instructions at link below for lodging a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

Doesn't sound like the NBN technician was very competent. There is probably a faulty termination in the cable resulting in a high resistance joint, or resistive short between the two wires in the pair or to earth stopping the reverse power feed working properly.

Frustrated138

Wow thanks so much cf4. You must have been a Telstra technician. The good old days, when they came to your house they would tell you what’s wrong and fix it properly. Your a champion.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

The Telstra support codi-idiots don't like escalating anything, because it affects their KPI's..  every fasiling on their part shout result in a complaint, so their performance can be properly recorded..  always try and get references during a chat, the CSR's name and even screenshots of the chats, so you can include them on the complaint.. the actual techs are a whole different issue - both NBN and Telstra seem to be more concerned about spending minimal time (except the NBN ones just don't turn up most of the time) on site, rather than making sure a fault is fixed - the current spread of responsibility between NBN and Telstra seems unworkable..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Frustrated138

Is it worthwhile getting a private contractor with communications to look at the wiring

SteveW_52

A contractor can probably only look at your internal wiring? If they touch any of the NBN stuff, they are likely to be blamed for causing the problem - rightly or wrongly. I'd be lodging a complaint and following it through..  including compensation for the time you have wasted if you can prove that..

Stevo 52
Frustrated138

Should I turn off the nbn power box at the PowerPoint. If there is a faulty termination in the cable and the nbn box green connection  light has been flashing and clicking on an off for 24 hours can this wreck the cable and overheat to cause a fire. Or should I leave it on. 

The telstra modem has connected me to 4g and have access through this rather than the nbn cable fibre

cf4

Leaving the NTD on want damage the cable. The boxes half inbuilt protection against abnormal conditions caused by cable but as with all electrical equipment there is a only a very slight that the connection box will overheat and catch fire. If the clicking noise is annoying you and also to be on safe side it can be turned off.

Frustrated138

Thank you so much for your advise cf4 and those others on the post, greatly appreciated

cf4

As well as fault in the cabling a clicking and flashing connection light on a FTTC NTD can also be caused by a faulty DPU port or FTTC NTD. This fault in the NTD or DPU often occurs after an electrical storm or power surge.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more